• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Eh, not really. The tricky part (which isn’t even that tricky) of learning to drive stick is modulating the clutch, not somehow accidentally downshifting

• Thteven@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I accidentally shifted from 4th to 1st instead of 3rd when I was first learning. Shit happens.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Maybe, if you’re also driving an antique that doesn’t have high-RPM lockouts to prevent overspeeding the engine. But even my old cars going back to the '90s have those.

• JoeBigelow@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

06 Subaru has no problem pulling a money shift, the reason you’ll never accidentally hit first isn’t because of lockouts but first not having a synchro. Now grabbing second from fifth on the highway, yea, that can happen

• Rekorse@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I’m more worried about beating the transmission to death, but I didn’t know about high rpm lockouts so thanks for sharing that.

• grue@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

Nah, the only thing that might be worth worrying about learning to drive stick is the clutch, and that’s a wear item designed to be replaced anyway. (Not necessarily often or cheaply, but still, a wear item.)

Even then, unless somebody’s truly hopeless, they’ll figure it out well before putting on any noticeable excessive wear. (Source: I’ve taught at least five people to drive stick using my own cars, including myself, and haven’t had to replace a clutch due to wear yet.)

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

To be fair nearly all my concerns about manuals are from stories others have told me. We have had two manual cars for maybe a decade now and haven’t had a single bit of trouble with the transmissions or clutches.

I even taught myself to drive stick driving one of them home from the dealership. Plus I didnt become proficient at it for a bit of time after that.

I really prefer manuals at this point. Feels simpler.

• GreatAlbatross@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

One of the first lessons from my instructor was to push the gear stick from the right with your palm for 1/2, top for 3/4, and left for anything else.

That way, there is less chance of shifting from one section to another. Useful when you car sometimes needs a downshift on the motorway, and 4th is adjacent to R.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 days ago

For me it was only a problem when I had to drive two cars:

A pickup with the shifter on the steering column (makes me sick thinking of it, horrible design)

A jeep with an absurd shifting handle which made the gears miles apart.