• CodeBlooded@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

Report: Linux was on 6.34 percent of computers last month if you count ChromeOS.

What are the reasons one wouldn’t count ChromeOS? I guess I don’t know much about it, is it somehow “less Linux” than your run of the mill Ubuntu/Debian, Arch, openSUSE, etc?

• PLAVAT🧿S@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 hours ago

Count me in! Switched to Linux Mint for my DD last month.

Only thing I’m missing is a very dead simple 3D modeling replacement for the Windows one (the others have a steep learning curve). I’ll have to find a browser based option…

• olafurp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

It’s unfortunate that the Adobe suite is not on Linux. FreeCAD and Blender are the standard of 3D modeling on Linux but Adobe Web has been picking up steam lately.

If you have two computers you can add the program to Steam on Windows and Stream it.

If it’s not very performance heavy then you could run it in a VM and use something like Dropbox or Mega to sync your work through the Internet.

If the files are very large I’m not sure, but I think you might be able to mount a shared filesystem that’s used by both the VM and the Linux host

• CO5MO ✨@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

This is great! Now if we can only stop talking down to each other for using whatever distro you don’t like bc whatever 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’m loving using diff distros, but dang if the community’s toxicity isn’t a turn off :/

• Auzy@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

That’s the biggest issue

There are so many people in the community who attack developers.

I had a open source project which I started, it got a lot of media attention but I gave it up because so much of the community is toxic and just made me feel unsure about developing the idea further.

And lots of other developers are the same. Even with Lemmy, people weren’t going to contribute, but they targeted the developers political beliefs.

And I see so much crap talking on Lemmy here because developers choose to use GitHub or discord. If you don’t like that, contribute to the project, but don’t try to dictate the project you have no involvement in

• ___@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 hours ago

I blame developers who use discord. The interface is a mess, the company is enshitifying, and you can’t archive the past.

It maybe easier, but I question why anyone would willingly choose it over most anything else.

Note that this is different from being a dick about it and harassing people.

• blindbunny@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Whenever someone brings up distro wars in just remind them we’re not using windows.

• Vik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

And the Linux / Unix-specific ecosystem & technology arguments therein.

• onlinepersona@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 days ago

Because everybody knows who it’s made by (one of the biggest corps who hates freedom). Just because one brick of a building is open source doesn’t mean the entire building is great.

Might as well promote a Chinese Linux distro and ignore the possible implications of its source.

Anti Commercial-AI license

• undefined@links.hackliberty.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 hours ago

I think people like to say it isn’t simply because they don’t agree with Apple.

It’s UNIX but the way it’s set up both is and isn’t aligned with UNIX conventions, and it’s definitely off base with Linux despite the ease with which Linux utilities can be ported.

• c10l@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 hours ago

Linux is quite an oddball in the UNIX world, tbh. It’s the most popular these days, and the one I’m most familiar with, but most Linux OSs are a lot more GNU than they are UNIX.

• c10l@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

UNIX != open source.

In fact, most flavours have historically been commercial and proprietary.

• undefined@links.hackliberty.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 days ago

I love Linux but I wish the BSDs weren’t getting left behind.

For the record, I really like macOS and Apple products as my “consumer” devices but all my side projects, web servers, routers, etc. run Linux. I ran FreeBSD for a long time until I got into containerization and Docker.

• Auzy@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

People like Theo De Raadt might have had a fairly huge impact on killing BSD.

He might have alienated a lot of people from even considering bsd.

The Linux community also had a lot of help by vendors such as Suse and Redhat who had no problems implementing good ideas which were a bit toxic, but were available in windows. Commercial venders can make a massive difference (as well as government deployments).

The big problem has been people resistant to change

• Fitik@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

@Blaze@lemmy.zip That’s an old news article, from at least 3 months ago