• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I like the Beehaw spirit, and I think we should aspire to get their level of moderation.

I am always a bit skeptical about posting content on one of their communities as they are defederated from LW and SJW, preventing most of the users (especially new joiners) to access it. What do you think?

• maegul@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

LW + SJW accounts for about 24k of a total 60k MAU … so a little under half the lemmy-verse, on top of which there’s also kbin.

Something to think about though is the difference between user count and actual engagement.

A lot of the Twitter to mastodon migrants talked about this, finding that you could get more meaningful engagement on mastodon compared to pretty superficial vacuous stuff on twitter.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I stand corrected, but 40% of a platform is still a lot.

About the Twitter/Mastodon comparaison, I hope LW and SJW have not reached Twitter’s level of toxicity yet

• maegul@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

but 40% of a platform is still a lot.

Oh for sure … still, the fediverse can surprise you in how distributed it is, even with big mega instances like lemmy.world and mastodon.social.

Generally, it seems, about half of the users are happy on comparatively small to tiny instances.

• alex [they, il]@jlai.lu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t really mind, I think it’s nice to give people a reason to join smaller instances anyway, ie. telling them they’ll get the quality content and good vibes of Beehaw if they avoid these two monster instances. But for targeting a large audience, yeah that doesn’t work!

• Jomn@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Same here, I only post on jlai.lu and other french communities for now.

We need to have an active French community :-D

• Rottcodd@lemmy.ninja
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

!manga@kbin.social

It’s pretty much a lost cause, at least for now, but I keep posting anyway. And it’s not like it’s an imposition - I check in on Mangadex a few times a day anyway, to catch up on my follows and maybe browse the new updates, so I just post discussion threads for the stuff I like and would like to discuss.

Years ago, I used to post a lot on the Reddit manga sub. It was always much more active, but my tastes in manga are obscure enough that most of what I was following didn’t get posted otherwise. But then the sub grew to the point that there were more enthusiastic posters even posting that, so I stopped.

That’s made it sort of awkward on kbin though, since I’m still just posting the sort of obscure stuff I like. In order to grow the community, it would be better to post more popular series, but that just seems sort of dishonest to me. It seems to me that if I’m not even reading a series myself, I have no business posting it.

So it goes…

• nieceandtows@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m hoping !artbykids@lemmy.world picks up. It’s a community to post art created by kids. I know a lot of parents are proud of their kids’ artwork but don’t want to share it because they don’t know if everybody else would find it great/cute/adorable/etc. This is a positive community where any artwork by kids is welcome with positive vibes. I hope it gets more people proudly showing off their kids’ artwork, because I think kids artwork is more than just a piece of art, it’s a window into a kid’s mind.

• JetpackJackson@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Hey, thanks for sharing this! I’m gonna subscribe to it even though I don’t plan on posting anything there, cause it seems like a really neat sub to sorta see things in a different way, like you said (and as a nice positive sub).

• ilovecheese@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

A Kerbal Space Program community: !ksp@lemmy.world

It’s an older game but it checks out! I know there must be a lot of others that still enjoy KSP and it would be nice for this community to take off 🖖

• walden@sub.wetshaving.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

!wetshaving@sub.wetshaving.social

I took over and got an auto-bot going for the daily threads. We have a small but active core group of people there, and I have another buddy lined up to help run the place when he has more time.

It was a lot busier during the reddit boycott, but most people have returned to reddit… July and August have some big “events” at r/wetshaving that a ton of people participate in, so activity has moved back there.

A big problem that !wetshaving ran into was the bot breaking with the upgrade to 0.18.x, which had the unfortunate timing of happening when everyone helping run the place got really busy with one of the reddit events, and it made it seem like the instance had been abandoned.

I think over time it’ll develop into a decent community. My next project is hosting a wiki based on the r/wetshaving wiki.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s still alive and well. r/wetshaving is organized differently and has a great community feel to it. In general, the people in r/wetshaving are more discerning about their hobby than what you might find at r/wicked_edge. There are giveaways (PIFs), contests, the occasional review, dedicated threads for certain types of posts, etc. Wicked Edge is a bit of a free-for-all for people who prefer that format.

• alex [they, il]@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Hiya! I just visited this community (!wetshaving@sub.wetshaving.social) and wanted to point out that the daily threads on a tiny community make up more noise than valuable content. The active threads are 100 % bot-generated prompts with 0 replies, which is very discouraging. I’d recommend having at most one per week, and otherwise trying to fill the community with information or questions rather than megathreads like these :)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Thanks for your insight. The daily threads are an important aspect to how we want the community to be organized. The users there are accustomed to this type of organization. The alternative is something like https://thesimplecorner.org/c/wicked_edge, where there’s a new post for each “shave of the day”. The more users you have, the more cluttered it gets.

With the current traffic that we have, daily threads might be overkill, but we want to be set up for success from the start. As it stands, you can open one thread to read everyone’s “shave of the day” posts, make conversation, etc. You can scroll and see everyone’s posts instead of clicking “back”, looking for the next one, opening them in a bunch of different tabs, etc.