I was never a fan of the subscriptions model (I have never had a Spotify, Netflix, or any other similar services).

My girlfriend that used to make fun of me is now considering cutting some of those costs.

What is your stance on this?

• kratoz29@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Hey, watch out what you say, lemmy.world might block you 👀 /s

I did something similar to you but with Plex, nowadays I’m enjoying my Real Debrid account + Stremio and Kodi, still have my personal collection on Plex.

• funchords@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’m keeping to my policy of only subscribing to two things at one time, and rotating so that I get to see the seasons of the things that I really want to see.

I’ve never been much of a pirate, mainly because I do believe in supporting those that produce the art that I love. That said, I am a big user of the library. And when there’s some FOSS product that I like, I support it. And while I could and can buy commercially now, I remember the days when I couldn’t and I survived on FOSS and the library.

With that said, let me say that I think that the content industry shoots itself in the foot when it creates these higher prices, obscene length of copyright terms, polluting their own products with commercial ads ,and fake scarcity. They deserve all the piracy that their own behavior generates!

I think Mike Masnick has it right. The best defense against piracy is to compete against it with superior offerings.

• pudcollar@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

My one video subscription is to a VPN, Mullvad. I can find most anything in qbittorrent’s built-in file search, and the really weird stuff on rutracker. Jellyfin is like a self-hosted Netflix, it’s way easier to use than Kodi. I splurged on a Synology NAS so I’ve got 800 movies and 50,000 songs. I rip FLAC music from deezer and qobuz trials using deemix and qobuzdl. I import playlists to rip into Qobuz and Deezer using soundiiz, the one audio subscription I paid for. This way I can get flacs for radio playlists, any text playlist, although XSPF format works best.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

VPN, Mullvad.

Those are good people. I am always really impressed by the way the do their business. Allowing people to pay a VPN by cash really is a feat.

• nottheengineer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Subscriptions are generally a bad idea if themake you dependent. I’d say these ones aren’t too bad since you can cancel any time and just lose access.

If something you depend on starts to get shitty, jump ship as soon as you can. I’m considering writing a spotify ripper because the app keeps getting worse and worse to a point where it’s almost unusable.

• xyz@lemmus.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I barely watch movies and TV shows nowadays. Summaries from YouTube and wiki are good enough for me to stay in the loop.

In a way, I’m not just saving costs, but I’m also saving time too.

• mountainman131@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I bought a year of Disney+ before the price went up last increase. Once it’s up in December I’m going to cancel.

• ANIMATEK@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Pirate the hell out of it. You most likely already have all you need, so no costs. If you want you can start putting the sub money to buy a RPi and a usb drive, you will not regret it.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Don’t worry, I don’t usually watch a lot of movies, but most of the times when my gf wants something, it’s nowhere to be streamed (English is not our first language, and the local streaming options are lackluster), so I still know my ways

• sLLiK@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Aside from the ongoing Crunchyroll subscription that my whole family uses, I only ever subscribe to one streaming service at a time. Been that way just based on general principle ever since streaming became a thing. I wait till one or more must-watch shows have finished airing a full season, subscribe for a month, binge watch everything, and unsubscribe.

As soon as the latest season of Bleach is done, I’ll drop them like a hot potato and possibly never return.

• bakachu@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I currently get Hulu+ and Disney+ free through my Verizon plan. Paying for Max, AppleTv, and Netflix, but cutting Netfix once I get done finishing up a few more shows. I think 3 tv subscriptions is my max limit. If one starts sucking for content then I’ll swap out. I think $25/month is super reasonable for tv entertainment.

Part of me quietly hopes the current strikes in Hollywood really starts to affect quality and quantity across the board and there’ll be some kind of price reset as a result. I’d also like more of a reason to stop watching tv as much and start going out to parks and stuff.

• Zarxrax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Well I have the Netflix $10 basic plan, and I think that is a reasonable price for the content. If they rip that plan away from me and force me to jump to a $16 plan, I’m out. Disney doesn’t interest me so I can’t comment on that one.

• viking@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’ve kicked both to the curb end of July, back to piracy. Fuck 'em with a cactus.

• Dave@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Isn’t it weird how music streaming has managed to remain a preferable option to the high seas, but video streaming has become so enshittified that it’s easier to not use it?

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Mine is sitting in my closet, I might just pull it back out. Hopefully I don’t need to patch any sails, just switch my spending from a subscription to buying DVDs, and then rip them using Handbrake.

If my combined monthly cost for streaming subscriptions exceeds $30 for Disney+ and Netflix, I’ll seriously consider cancelling one or both.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

No because I never had them in the first place. But they make me less willing to subscribe.

• naticus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Newsgroups binaries, typically on Usenet. Basically there are indexes of binary files posted on newsgroups across a huge distributed network. Typically you would pay an annual membership towards an index to be able to find content. You can run your own index too, but it’ll only cover anything newly posted and it’s worth paying for the historical things of 6+ years ago.

• ExMimic@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I subscribe to Netflix, HBO Max, and Youtube premium. I might be cutting Netflix by the end of the year. There are still some things I want to finish watching.

I also have access to my brother’s Hulu and Disney, and my mom’s Prime video. When those three start cracking down on sharing, I definitely would not subscribe to them.

I’ve recently started sailing the seas again. I refuse to even sign up for even a free trial for Peacock or anything else.