• ChicoSuave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Dad has that TRex arm like he’s not confident. Grandpa and son have their arm at their side, committed to the bit.

• SharkEatingBreakfast@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

My brother used to balance his kids up in the air with one hand, singing out “March of the Gladiators” as he did. They love it!

Only accident I’ve witnessed was when the father was a). intoxicated and b). around a lot of obstacles that could be easily tripped over (someone else caught the baby, don’t worry). Worst wedding I’ve ever attended.

If you’re sober, not a moron, and in an open space, try it out! (assuming your child has hit the phase where they can easily support their own head & neck, of course).

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It’s a sentence fragment, so it can’t be assessed for case. The full sentence could be “this is my dad and me” or “my dad and I have this tradition”.

Besides, it’s long been shown that with two or more pronouns in coordination (ie connecting pronouns with “and”), natives often use a different pronoun than they would with just a single one. It’s probably still not widely acceptable in formal contexts, but in informal text many people wouldn’t bat an eye. It may even be more acceptable in certain dialects than the formal prescribed grammar.

• Grass@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

its just the same guy and baby with three different cameras… the baby just shrunk after the first one

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

like seriously when it comes to safety, if you saw somebody else doing that with your child, you would probably punch them in the throat after the child came down. the fuck is wrong with people

*lol it’s shocking the number of dads who are saying they’d be cool with you tossing their baby around. you’re all bad people. “I would do literally anything to protect my child” okay how about you don’t juggle them “fuck you buddy” lol what a bunch of angry man babies

• candybrie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Babies fucking love being tossed around. They demand it until your arms are jello. Their giggles are totally worth it, though.

• CaptPretentious@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I used to “body slam” my niece and nephew into the couch all the time (not actually at full speed of course). Give them the 'ol peoples elbow. They really do get a kick out of some rough housing.

• Drusas@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Do you remember how well you could rebound from physical activity as a child? They’re like little balls of rubber. I practically look at a trampoline and break an ankle and there they are doing all kinds of flips and shit.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Difference is, being tossed around is developmentally important for babies and toddlers.

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

yeah, if you’re the adult in the room, it’s your job to figure out how to do it safely. you don’t just let toddlers do whatever the fuck they want because it makes them giggle

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

being allowed to chew on things is very important for young children. notice how I don’t let them chew on things that they shouldn’t though? that’s how the adult brain is supposed to function

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

you’ve never watched somebody set up for this shot? it’s not a balancing act, it’s a toss with the photo snapped at the apex. so yes, you did learn something today

• Steak@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

No it kinda is a balancing act. At least with my two sons, and I’ve done it with both many times. Around 6 months they start being able to balance if you hold them by their buts. They wobble back and forth and find stability. This is just the advanced version of that where you press them up above your head while they balance. It’s easy and they are never really unsafe, if they wobble you just drop your hand and bring your other hand up and catch their bum with two hands. It’s awesome.

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

we just covered this dude. balancing is worse. there is zero reason to do this over a hard surface

• Drusas@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

What the fuck are you talking about. That’s not remotely true. You just put the baby in your hand and lift it. It’s not that uncommon a “stunt”.

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

you understand that balancing is worse, right? you’re not making yourself look better

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

when you have children, nature just turns off the part of your brain that says not to juggle your children over hard surfaces?

• Rolder@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

What kinda weak ass arms you got that you can’t balance a baby for 2 seconds to take a picture

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Some rando doing it is quite a bit different than the parent of the child doing it.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Some random person walks up and lifts your baby over their head with one arm = not okay because you don’t know them or trust them to not harm the kid.

The baby’s father doing it = nerve-wracking, yes, but you at least know he’s gonna try to be careful.

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

morally it’s the exact same thing. you’re taking a child, who doesn’t understand enough about danger to consider consent, and putting them in a potentially life-threatening situation for entertainment purposes. there are safe ways to toss your baby. sitting here defending doing it over hard ground with one hand is fucking stupid

• pelletbucket@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

that’s the center square on “I don’t actually have any arguments” bingo. keep going, I’ve only got two more squares to fill

• samus12345@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

I’ve been encountering more jerks on here lately. Lemmy must be getting more popular!

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

If you’re the parent then the child is your property and responsibility, if you break it by accident you can make another. If someone else breaks your kid then they owe you a kid, but you don’t want someone else’s kid, so now you’re in a troublesome situation

• SharkEatingBreakfast@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

As long as the baby has control of their head and neck & isn’t a squirmy worm, it’s usually fine! You’re not leaving them up on a ledge alone or anything— you’re literally holding them.

It’s okay if folks don’t want to risk it with their kids due to their own preferences & trust in their strength and/or the child’s temperament. I used to do it when my kid was tiny! But I get if people don’t feel comfortable doing it with their own kids.

There’s a higher risk of your baby injured in a car accident, tbh.

• LustyArgonianMana@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Okay first off, I’m not going to go stop a parent or interfere with another person doing this. But my opinion is that it’s stupidly dangerous and your defense of it falls flat (pun intended).

Babies can abruptly startle and squirm at those ages pictured. I’ve been cradling a baby in my arms and had them randomly fling themselves backwards (I didn’t drop them because I was holding onto them).

Second, they are holding the baby by a onesie and a diaper. The onesie can snap, stretch, fall off, and so can the diaper. I wouldn’t risk a 7ft or higher fall with a baby with that. They can easily break their neck. There’s a reason rollercoasters and rides don’t just restrain you by a velcro diaper and a onesie- they aren’t generally meant to hold the weight of a person/baby.

Babies can play many many many many many other ways besides this way, and they will have just as much fun. There’s no real reason to do this. Ever. It’s so much risk for literally no extra reward.

Sure, a child under 15 is also more likely to die in a car accident than in an accidental drowning. Yet it remains, along with injuries, to be one of the leading causes of child mortalities. Kids are likely to die in fires and from gunshots too (also in the top 5 leading causes of death), a little less likely to die from those than car accidents, yet I’m not going to let my kids play with guns or fires just because they are less likely to kill them than a car accident.