link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I think people often hate steam for their success

I hate them for forcing me to use a kind of DRM which will stop working once their servers stop.

Halflife was just fine without steam. Adding steam seemed to be a way to stop players from sharing CD keys.

• wolfshadowheart@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Luckily steamless is piss easy to use because Steams “DRM” is only meant to be preventative. As in, you’re playing it on steam for the community, workshop, cloud saves, per game notes, control scheme setups, etc etc.

• Couldbealeotard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s kind of why they are successful though, right? They were the ones that figured out how to supply games digitally for a profit, which required a way to prevent people from sharing the product for free. This was previously done with CD keys, but the advent of the internet rendered that mostly ineffective.

• Abnorc@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think publishers value the fact that steam is essentially a form of DRM, so we got fairly lucky all things considered. Imagine if steam didn’t exist and we had to deal with software like Uplay and Origin.

• TheGalacticVoid@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The way I see it, Steam having DRM is Valve’s way of giving publishers and devs that choice, and said choice just makes Steam more likely to stick around for the future, which makes the biggest drawback of DRM (losing all your games) less likely.

• homicidalrobot@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

You can play: Half-Life 1: Source Half-Life 2 Half-Life 2: Episode One Half-Life 2: Episode Two All with steam closed. Original half life expansions aside, your take is senile. I suppose alyx could’ve done without it.

• Lets_Eat_Grandma@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Okay, but what about all the games that have come out since steam has launched and ONLY have online-only drm options?

Not talking about MMOs because those are their own beast. I’m talking about a huge amount of games though excluding mmos.

I don’t mind digital distribution DRM platforms, I just want a choice. I want licenses to be portable and I want to be able to re-sell licenses for games I do not wish to own any longer. I don’t want to be bound to just console games either.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I don’t think resellable licenses are a great idea. It works with physical media because it will have flaws that affect quality and price, but I don’t see how that would work for digital without screwing over devs. I can completely get behind transfers or trades with friends or between platforms, but not really for resale.

• Charzard4261@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I can get the transfers between friends part, but why between platforms? That makes zero sense from a business standpoint.

The only way that would work is to have game companies manufacture and distribute an external storage medium themselves, because platforms sure as hell won’t say “Oh you bought a license on another store? Sure, you can use our CDN for free!”. And now we’ve almost reinvented game CDs.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

I agree in that it’ll be hard to transfer between platforms, but doubt it’s impossible. The idea is that you don’t want Valve to nuke your licenses in one go, but Valve also doesn’t want you on their platform.

• homicidalrobot@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Okay, but what about pre-steam DRM? But what about services that have existed for less time and actually done the slippery slope shit you’re cowering in your boots about (Uplay)? You’re so busy listing possible problems and making problems up that you are not comparing and contrasting your available options. It strikes me that you are complaining to complain and don’t have realistic solutions in mind, you’re asking for either a rental system where you put up collateral to play a game or you’re suggesting that the developer only be able to sell a game once. Are you one of those crazy “first sale doctrine” sovcit types?

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

And the fact that they can just decide to take your games away from you by deleting your account?