I’m beginning to think anything about assassins, serial killers, or psychopaths will automatically be dogshit.

Summary: Globetrotting spy thriller turns into Hannibal-esque psychosexual romance between the cat and the mouse, except with more Whedonism. Konstantin is the best character.

Also, Jodie Comer could play Ivanka Trump. Also “Villanelle” would’ve been a much more intriguing title than “Killing Eve” lol, but I guess the latter have more metaphorical meanings as well.

• EmoThugInMyPhase [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I would say yes, but I genuinely thought the ending to the third was season was the ending to the show and I was like “oh okay I can see why it was ‘controversial’,” but I figured it was whatever since they determined The Twelve wasn’t just some Russian cabal and was an international conspiracy, and I thought their little moment on the bridge was touching.

But then the credits rolled and I saw the “next episode” button and a dread filled in my body as I realized there was another fucking season to this show. Now Konstantin is some mayor despite being hunted for trying to leave the organization and stealing their money, Eve is a sharpshooter and private investigator despite being the worst cop ever (which I guess is accurate), Villanille is trying to “change” and none of them are in contact with each other despite wanting the same things??? There’s a bunch of unresolved shit from the last season, and now I’m just annoyed. I think I’m going to stop watching this season and pretend it ended on that bridge.

• ClimateChangeAnxiety [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m a big fan of trashy YA sci-fi/fantasy that’s almost always filmed in Vancouver. In order from my favorite to least favorite:

The Magicians - What if Harry Potter was grad school and everyone was miserable.

Sense8 - 8 people around the world become psychically linked, able to communicate and use the skills and knowledge of the others. Created by the Wachowski sisters, probably the one on my list I would recommend most to Hexbear users.

The Originals - Spinoff of The Vampire Diaries, the 3 first vampires return to New Orleans, its soap opera shit between vampires witches and werewolves, and it’s definitely the highest quality of the Vampire Diaries franchise

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - In the same mold as Riverdale (and I think the same universe) what if Sabrina the Teenage Witch but dark and increasingly unhinged as it goes on.

Haven - Police procedural, small town in Maine where lots of people have magic powers, mostly for the worse. Very loosely based on Stephen King’s The Colorado Kid.

The 100 - Earth was destroyed in a nuclear war, the only people left alive are on an Ark ship in orbit. Running out of resources, they send 100 teenage delinquents to the ground, figuring they’ll probably die but hey maybe it’s livable. Gets more and more unhinged and also less and less good as it goes on. To watch this show you have to just accept that in this universe nuclear radiation and fallout work completely differently than in ours.

iZombie - Sherlock Holmes based police procedural where the protagonist is a medical examiner and a zombie who sees memories from the dead when she eats their brains.

The Order - A college has a secret society of magicians and also a secret society of magician-hunting werewolves. It’s trash.

• EllenKelly [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

One of the original writers for killing eve, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, wanted to end it after the first season, she left before season 2, and the quality really dropped

have a look at other shoes Pheobe has made, especially Fleabag, shes a bougie little brat, but she makes good television

• EpicKebabEater [he/him, it/its]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Houdini and Doyle - This show really does not give a shit about the real dead people it portrays. It’s not like either Houdini or Sir Doyle are hard to learn about, the writers just didn’t care at all. I guess you could say some things like the change of dates are just artistic license but they portray Houdini as an atheist(he had to explain in A Magician Among The Spirits that he was religious, just didn’t believe spirits interacted with the living world) and tie it into his mother’s death. They also portray him as a slutty bachelor(dude was married at the time) and speculate on his relationship with his father(wtf). Milder problem is that Sir Doyle is portrayed by a twink, he was fairly consistently jacked throughout his life.

It’s also apparently incredibly boring. I tried to get multiple friends to watch it and they don’t care about either of the real people and die from boredom. Everybody I’ve tried to refused to watch after episode 3 max.