link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

You know what my biggest problem with descriptivists precriptivists is? What is “correct” always coincides exactly to what they learned in school or university from 15 - 20. It’s never anything else. Never in like 20.000 years of human history did we nail language except for that timeframe, and never will it happen again. what a coinkidink.

• Firestorm Druid@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Prescriptivists you mean. Descriptivists describe language phenomena as they are without passing judgment on their validity whereas prescriptivists have certain assumptions on what constitutes parts of the language to be valid and prescribe meaning to them

• 7bicycles [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

there’s a joke here about me rejecting the notion of what prescriptivist and descriptivist mean

but yes, thanks, got some wires crossed there

• Firestorm Druid@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

My comment was more so meant to prove to myself that I didn’t mix anything up and still remember the definitions lol

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

i think we need more prescriptivists who insist we should all speak toki pona and write in chinese

• 7bicycles [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’d respect that a lot more on the basis of you have to have argued yourself into that one in some way that isn’t being subservient to your elementary school teachers authority at 45

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

did you mean to reply to someone else? i’m pretty clearly making a joke, albeit with a grain of seriousness.

• psud@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Much of the stuff people correct each other on is stuff we all were taught. It just didn’t sink in for some.

Though there are outdated and incorrect ideas (eg “no split infinitives in English” was never correct, but was taught when boomers were in school, and later in less progressive places)