• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I wont buy an ev until they stop being mobile spying devices, especially considering the price tag. Same with any new/more efficient car. If that never happens, I just won’t ever have one. That’s the way it has to be because I am not a product, especially if I’m paying thousands of dollars. If it’s free, I’ll think about it.

I live somewhere that I can’t really survive without a car, but I’ve reduced my driving substantially (once a week now at most) I’d like to get an e-bike, but can’t really justify the spend at the moment.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Used is also a great option. Sure, you’re probably not going to find a deal on an electric, but from an ecological and cost perspective, using a piece of equipment that already exists is more environmentally friendly by a long shot than buying something new. I’ll be driving my 1.8t mk 4 Jetta into the ground, thank you very much (and then I will fix it, as I am the warranty at this point).

• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Used doesn’t fix the spying problem, only helps with the price. And that’s not even a guarantee anymore. So you aren’t wrong, but it doesn’t help the issue I specifically have with them (which I have with all newer cars).

My current car is 2012 civic coupe, and if I don’t drive it much, it’s perfectly fine for what I use it for without upgrading, other than that it’s starting to need bigger work more frequently, and not stuff I know how to do. Decent mileage and all, but fully ice. I’d like to upgrade to electric or at least hybrid, but they all have the same spying problem. So I just cut driving as much as I can. I live in a rural town, closest grocery store is half an hour away by highway, so zero driving isn’t an option, unfortunately.