We had a false alarm go off in the building where I work last week. The elevators automatically shut down forcing the use of the fire escapes. The building is 22 floors. I was lucky in that I’d just taken the elevator to the first floor to step outside on a break. When they finally let us back in, I wondered what someone with mobility issues is expected to do had the building been on fire. Just die? Have a kind soul carry them? With most people wfh at least a couple of days per week, this seems really dangerous for anyone who might get stranded.

• SanguinePar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I was wondering the same. Best guess I could come up with was that it meant the people assisting the person on the cardboard would be able to hold them by the feet and, standing on the higher steps, gradually slide them down in a controlled manner. Just a guess though.

• AlexWIWA@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It was more to do with shoulders having a more gradual curve than heels and cheeks. We didn’t try it with a box, but speculate that the box would make this less of an issue. The box idea came from sliding down the stairs as a kid