“Today I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year. Democrats — it’s time to come together and beat Trump. Let’s do this,” he added.

• Nougat@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Couple of positives:

Having the current VP take over the nomination at this point is “continuity of leadership.” It’s a much smaller change than bringing in someone with less name recognition, or from a “lower” political position.

Having a woman of color take the nomination would make the race between Harris and Trump much ideologically clearer. It would also dare the right to show its true colors about it. Remember that we got Trump essentially as a “Well, if you can elect a black guy, we can elect a racist lunatic!” Having a woman of color running as the Democratic nominee is going to make people pick sides even harder than they are already, and it’s the “oh god, not Trump” people who really need to be motivated to pick their side.

And you know that Biden’s endorsement of Harris had to have come after discussions with congressional Democrats and other party leaders to make sure most everyone gets in line behind Harris, and doesn’t act like a bunch of backyard chickens going every direction. I expect (hope?) this endorsement to be followed by many others.