Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

Three, with the music it sounds like a drug ad in the US

as I remarked to a friend elsewhere, thereā€™s something Iā€™ve noticed in a couple of these things now, and thatā€™s how ā€œcutesyā€ theyā€™re made to be

this one for example: itā€™s so clearly intended to be as unnatural as possible (based on the pairings presented), while trying to sell it as cozy as possible - all the gestures/poses, the music, the lighting, the clothing, the whoā€™s-picked-for-portrayal

obviously thereā€™s going to be some kind of observation bias etc involved here (of however many of these things get created, only some with some x property end up crossing my feed/radar somehow) but still. it doesnā€™t even have artistic shock dimensions value - itā€™s just creepycopy.

which has led me to wonder: what is it about genml tech specifically that makes this kind of bullshit the thing produced so frequently?

• swlabr@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

One answer perhaps would be that anyone who thinks AI art is good probably lacks the taste to appreciate anything beyond the generic, and the discernment to tell that it is submerged in the depths of uncanny valley. So you have a bunch of AI chuds sharing this creep shit without realising itā€™s creepy and that it looks terrible.

• swlabr@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

Yeah also people that like AI are already willing to overlook its ethical issues, which parlays into obliviousness about why itā€™s all so fucking creepy. Again, musk.

• BlueMonday1984@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

One answer perhaps would be that anyone who thinks AI art is good probably lacks the taste to appreciate anything beyond the generic, and the discernment to tell that it is submerged in the depths of uncanny valley.

Very true - arguably truer today than it was earlier, if DALL-Eā€™s declining quality is any indication.

DALL-E 2 had some degree of artistic talent (in the loosest sense), but because DALL-E was made and run by creatively sterile techbros without a shred of art skill, that talent was drowned very fucking quickly.