Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

not only are the DCs burning water and harming ears, weā€™re on to the stage of taiwan not farming rice in service of making more chips

She shows us one of her rice paddies. It used to hold enough water to raise ducks. Now itā€™s nothing but cracked earth and a few crispy flowers.

Iā€™m neither a climate nor agriculture scientist so I canā€™t guess the longer term impact of this; I immediately wonder whether the soil could get harmed by disuse over years, along with other warming-related problems

Iā€™m too angry to even sneer properly at this. itā€™s so fucking obviously nuts, but perverse incentives roll right ahead unchecked.

• hrrrngh@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

I think some people are from hell

Here is the worst thing I didnā€™t have to read today from a transhumanist:

Yes but laws are often outpaced, presumably having your dog walk in and say he liked it is a pretty good reason to have your bestiality charge thrown out and perhaps move on to the discrimination countersuit.

Also this may have historic reasons, as the first futa was drawn centuries ago, long before the technology that enabled transgenderism, with breasts being the key difference.

Bonus round:

spoiler

What percentage of homeless people do you think would be worthwhile having as slaves? Many of them are broken people who canā€™t reasonably support themselves in their current state, nor do anything to fix it.

This is vaguely similar to my idea for how to fix homelessness, build a community for them on a large scale, either state or national, where property is cheap and low skill jobs are abundant. Then you build a prison there, and everyone guilty of a ā€˜crime of homelessnessā€™ such as trespassing, illegal camping, stealing food, etc. Then they get put in jail for a few days, probably put through some level of rehab, given basic medical care, and eventually a job for the massive debt theyā€™ve just wracked up. What work it would be is the hard question, but the benefits to everyone else would pay for them to dig holes to fill back in if needed. Maybe have them sort recycling or something.

• V0ldek@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

how to fix homelessness, build a community for them on a large scale, either state or national, where property is cheap and low skill jobs are abundant

Okay, I mean, thereā€™s no indication as to how youā€™d achieve this, but yes, community help and cheap rent are absolutely a good ideal to aim atā€¦

Then you build a prison there.

Aaaand youā€™re a cartoon villain. What the absolute fuck.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

just want to make sure this is on the record

those suggestions (from the deranged OP) are basically segregationist: ā€œyou take all the poor, you give them their own little world [and then theyā€™re no longer here, where we have to look at them]ā€. thereā€™s a long track record of awful enterprises that have been done with that spirit. they carry names like Apartheid, ghetto, etc.

(there are occasionally serious well-meaning suggestions on how to provision for the poor and unfortunate in ways that allow improving lives, but those donā€™t tend to handwave the details, and never (afaict) involve the ā€œmake them go over thereā€ step)

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

iā€™ve seen some of these takes coming from libertarians, but never from a single person

• Aoife@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

Holy shit every one of those was like getting ounched in the head from a completely random direction

• David Gerard@awful.systemsOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

https://bsky.app/profile/jonpennington.bsky.social/post/3kxqkmezcwe2o

I went to college with him. Yarvin is curdled nerd rage personified. He also lies about his age. Heā€™s older than me & claims a birth date that would make him younger than me.

I was on a Quiz Bowl team with him & whenever he would buzz in for an answer, he would jerk his body spasmodically, which the other people on the team called ā€œYarvinating.ā€

Heā€™s the kind of player that other Quiz Bowl players hate, known in the subculture as a ā€œpickoff lord.ā€ That is to say, heā€™s the kind of guy who would pad his stats by diving in to buzz on easy questions, make wild guesses on intros so he could get more points than teammates, etc.

Hand to God. If anybody disputes me, Iā€™ve got at least one other person who would remember the ā€œYarvinatingā€ anecdote. Iā€™ve got legit Quiz Bowl cred. I used to play against Ken Jennings before he was even a Jeopardy! contestant, let alone host.

I connected on Facebook with a former classmate, somebody else from that team who once appeared in a College Jeopardy! tournament. Weā€™re both kind of just gobsmacked that we were there for somebody elseā€™s Lex Luthor origin story.

Another bit of teaā€¦ He lies about his age. He was an upperclassman at Brown when I was a freshman & he claims to be younger than me.

see also https://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Curtis_Yarvin

Yarvin played on the College Bowl-only team for Brown from 1989 to 1992. In 2021 he published a poem[2] stating that ā€œNo one can fucking touch me / In College Bowl.ā€ Brown failed to advance out of the Region 1 tournament for all four years of Yarvinā€™s participation, making his lifetime record at intercollegiate tournaments 0-4 and demonstrating that, at a minimum, the Brandeis, MIT, and Williams teams were capable of ā€œtouchingā€ his performance.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

Iā€™d never looked into how old the clown is, but

He also lies about his age. Heā€™s older than me & claims a birth date that would make him younger than me.

wait what? what does he claim? is the indicated year on wikipedia accurate? why the hell?

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

He also lies about his age.

I also knew somebody who did that, but it was done as a joke, he obv picked an age much much younger and everybody new he was older, it was just a funny joke. (With a small layer of disliking getting older, which is understandable) From the way this is written, it seems to me this isnā€™t like that at all.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

I like answering ludicrously old whenever this stupid shit comes up

or picking timestamps that make devs wonder whether they had a value handling bug (such as 1/1/1970, the asp.net default 0, etc ec)

• sc_griffith@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

we still keep a proportion of Protonā€™s financial reserves in Bitcoin.

further down the page

Proton is not a crypto company. We do not speculate in crypto

• self@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        1 month ago

so Iā€™ve accidentally been paying shitheads who speculate on crypto to speculate on crypto. Iā€™m kinda angry at myself for not catching this.

• Mii@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

The fuck is happening over there?

I could have ā€œexcusedā€ the AI bullshit as ā€œwe did it to appease the corporate customers who make us moneyā€ but thereā€™s no way you can spin this.

Iā€™m canceling my account. At this point I might just say fuck it and use my Yahoo mail for everything again.

(And this time the Reddit thread is the dumpster fire Iā€™ve been expecting the last one to be lol)

• earthquake@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 month ago

Canā€™t blame this shit on the survey!

I checked, crypto shit was not in any of the top 8 results (top 5 broken out, and they mentioned 3 more, which are surely #6 through #8).

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Iā€™m sorry, whatā€™s a 1-2-punch, idgi šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

(big fat fucking /s ofc)

• ShakingMyHead@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 month ago

Bosses are urging employees to increase their output with the help of AI tools (37 percent), to expand their skill sets (35 percent), take on a wide range of responsibilities (30 percent), return to the office (27 percent), work more efficiently (26 percent), and work more hours (20 percent).

Stop working from home because AI.

• Sailor Sega Saturn@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Japan supermarket chain uses AI to gauge staff smiles, speech tones in quality service push (South China Morning Post).

Called ā€œMr Smileā€, it was developed by the Japanese technology company InstaVR and is said to be able to accurately rate a shop assistantā€™s service attitude.

It has also been designed with ā€œgameā€ elements that invite staff to improve their attitude by challenging their scores.

The company said its goal was to ā€œstandardise staff membersā€™ smiles and satisfy customers to the maximumā€.

Thanks I hate it

Press release here: https://www.aeonretail.jp/pdf/240701R_1.pdf or here: https://www.instavr.co.jp/news/aeon-retail-smile-2024-07-01/ (Lots of big words so I didnā€™t try to read it)

InstaVRā€™s English website here: https://www.instavr.co/

• YourNetworkIsHaunted@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 month ago

What if instead of making robots better we just made interacting with a real person indistinguishable by demanding they conform to arbitrary metrics that the brain-slugs that control our minds think look like genuine human warmth and kindness?

• gerikson@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      1 month ago

Previous workplace merged with a US company that among other things offered ā€œsentiment analysisā€ for call centers - the software was supposed to detect if someone was upset or irate. Could be used to help employees deal with irate customers, but could also detect if an employee was rude or stressed. Same software could be used to ensure employees used certain stock phrases like ā€œwelcome to InitTech, how may I help you?ā€

Point is, tech has been used to enforce conformity since well forever.

• o7___o7@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

@cstross

Looks like someone took the wrong lesson from Quantum of Nightmares!

Edit: Enjoyed the book, btw. Felt weird about shopping for groceries for most of a year afterward. A++

cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

No idea how true it is but apparently crowdstrike fired some of their QA and replaced it with AI, anybody heard about this? (source bsky) (Also ā€˜AIā€™ is doing a lot of work here, that could be anything)

• David Gerard@awful.systemsOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

I am attempting to track down this precise story.

• They are gung ho on AI
      • They laid off a pile of their QA
      • They have a ā€œvirtual security analystā€ which is an LLM
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

iirc Crowdstrike does use regular ML for security, or at least a lot of security companies, I think they might have talked about it on the risky business podcast, so you might want to look at their (many iirc) crowdstrike sponsored parts. No episode directly springs to mind however.

• YourNetworkIsHaunted@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

This can also be an area where ML is an appropriate and useful tool. Youā€™ll see it used to establish a statistical baseline for what traffic should look like and then it can flag when it detects something that doesnā€™t match that as suspicious and worth further investigation. In this space there is actually a lot of value in some of the statistical modeling techniques, though generative AI is obviously a very different and less useful beast.

cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            2 months ago

Yes indeed. Which is iirc what people talked about re ML before the current hype cycle started.

cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      2 months ago

Amazing how many of them eventually morph into somebody else. Trained on celeb faces, and still cannot keep a consistent facial shape. One more dataset bro.

• swlabr@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

One, this looks like absolute dogshit. Two, this looks like an ad campaign for a celebrity cloning service for spare organs. Three, with the music it sounds like a drug ad in the US. It just needs a voiceover telling you the monkey paw side effect youā€™ll inflict upon yourself in return for eternal youth.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

Three, with the music it sounds like a drug ad in the US

as I remarked to a friend elsewhere, thereā€™s something Iā€™ve noticed in a couple of these things now, and thatā€™s how ā€œcutesyā€ theyā€™re made to be

this one for example: itā€™s so clearly intended to be as unnatural as possible (based on the pairings presented), while trying to sell it as cozy as possible - all the gestures/poses, the music, the lighting, the clothing, the whoā€™s-picked-for-portrayal

obviously thereā€™s going to be some kind of observation bias etc involved here (of however many of these things get created, only some with some x property end up crossing my feed/radar somehow) but still. it doesnā€™t even have artistic shock dimensions value - itā€™s just creepycopy.

which has led me to wonder: what is it about genml tech specifically that makes this kind of bullshit the thing produced so frequently?

• swlabr@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

One answer perhaps would be that anyone who thinks AI art is good probably lacks the taste to appreciate anything beyond the generic, and the discernment to tell that it is submerged in the depths of uncanny valley. So you have a bunch of AI chuds sharing this creep shit without realising itā€™s creepy and that it looks terrible.

• swlabr@awful.systems
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              Ā·
              2 months ago

Yeah also people that like AI are already willing to overlook its ethical issues, which parlays into obliviousness about why itā€™s all so fucking creepy. Again, musk.

• BlueMonday1984@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            2 months ago

One answer perhaps would be that anyone who thinks AI art is good probably lacks the taste to appreciate anything beyond the generic, and the discernment to tell that it is submerged in the depths of uncanny valley.

Very true - arguably truer today than it was earlier, if DALL-Eā€™s declining quality is any indication.

DALL-E 2 had some degree of artistic talent (in the loosest sense), but because DALL-E was made and run by creatively sterile techbros without a shred of art skill, that talent was drowned very fucking quickly.