• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

It is a bit complicated. Any kernel level program that crashes will cause the entire operating system to crash. But it won’t cause the system to continuously blue screen because it isn’t a required program in the way that crowdstrike was.

Crowdstrike is basically an antivirus program so it has to run when the operating system starts up and if it isn’t running then the operating system should not boot for safety reasons. The problem is that if it must be loaded, and it has a crash, then it loads and kills the system. So you get an infinite loop you cannot get out of.

Vanguard only has to run when you’re playing online though, so it’s not loaded when the system runs, or at least it doesn’t have to be. So it won’t cause a recurring boot loop. It might fail to load and you wouldn’t be able to play online games that require it until they fix it, but it isn’t going to prevent the computer from running.

• Tartas1995
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I could be wrong but I think it runs on boot. So it would loop into bsod.

• azvasKvklenko@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Wait, wasn’t Vanguard coming in form of a driver? I don’t use Windows and don’t play games with intrusive software requirements, but I believe I saw someone installing it and showing how it works on YouTube, and if I don’t misremember it, it was in fact a virtual device driver, not just a fully privileged process.

• vpklotar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yup, I seem to remember the same thing and I also seem to remember it being loaded at boot. Iirc you can stop it when the system has started and you’ve logged in but then you have to reboot in order for it to load again so you can plain. But same, I also don’t use windows and haven’t played leaugh for many many years.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I haven’t really used it because I don’t play any games that require it but my understanding is that it just installs itself as a required program but you can just go into program manage and turn that off because you don’t have to have it and I think if it’s not running starting the game should then cause the program to run.

If not you can just set up a script to do it anyway so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work like that.