Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed, I’m trying to revive this community. However, I noticed that is actually overlaps quite a lot with !general@lemmy.world

Do you think we should move there, so that we can have more content and activity on one place?

The hardest part to get a community started is now, when you need to build traction, and I think it makes sense to use the larger userbase of !general (10k subs vs 4k here)

Let me know what you think!

• Chriszz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Absolutely not. Looking at the content there, it’s quite literally general content.

Much of it isn’t what I’d consider casual conversation material so this sub still fulfills a distinct purpose. It’s more personal here imo.

While there may be overlap now, I think if that sub lemmy grows a lot in the future it will become much less focused.

• Coelacanth@feddit.nu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Totally agree with this and I also think Casual Conversation is just a better, more inviting name for the purposes of the community.

If I wanted to start a conversation I wouldn’t be inclined to post in a sub called “General”, despite the name being technically all-inclusive. Calling it Casual Conversation gives any hesitant poster reassurance that other subscribers of the sub really just want to hear casual small talk.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Interesting, thanks for your feedback!

• Lazycog@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Couple of thoughts:

Casual Conversation was a nice community on reddit and it might make it easier for people coming from reddit to find familiar communities in Lemmy. But your point about activity is good, makes it easier to come to lemmy if you see more activity.

As I understood !general@lemmy.world can have also serious and controversial topics and it has way more posts with links, while here the emphasis on posts is to make a text post.

Not for or against merging to general, just adding my thoughts :)

Edit: clarification and typo fix.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Very good points!

To be honest I have no strong opinion on this, both situation can work. I guess if we keep CasualConversation active, we’ll have to promote it more to gain the critical mass to get regular activity.

I might also switch to a daily thread as weekly threads tend to be buried under new content (most of the users don’t use “New comments” I assume)

• Lazycog@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Thanks!

Same, I’m open to anything basically. Enjoying lemmy :)

Now is a good time to try out things, maybe daily threads work better for some people?

And good point! I also sadly forget to check new comments…

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’ll go with daily threads, should work better :)

• Saltarello@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Also @blaze@discuss.tchncs.de

If you’re an android, Liftoff allows to sort both posts & comments by new/old etc

• BlazeOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I know, but it still seems that weekly threads are usually buried in the content, because people don’t go back to them, whatever their sort filter

• safesyrup@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I agree with the other comments not to merge. I think the vibe just is not similar. In return i will try to keep this community more active