• renzev@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

It’s pretty good. Definitely better then self-hosted stuff like nextcloud, because you don’t need to maintain your own server. But sometimes it takes a while for two hosts to discover each other on the same local area network.

• untorquer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I’ve never noticed any delay after first discovery. But i only use 3 devices so 🤷

• Ghoelian@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think they’re both good for different use-cases. I use nextcloud myself on a truenas system. I sync things like my pictures to nextcloud, and delete them from my phone after I’ve sorted them into the correct folders.

This way my data isn’t clogging up my phone and other things, is still available from anywhere (as long as my home internet doesn’t go down), and it’s still safely stored on redundant storage.

This does take a bit more setting up than something like syncthing, though it wasn’t very difficult at all. Basically install the docker image, tell it where my data goes, and set up a new dns record if you want it publicly accessible. I personally run it through a zerotier network so I don’t have to do that.

• GFGJewbacca@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I like Nextcloud on my TrueNAS scale setup, but for photos I’ve started using Immich. It works extremely well, and does automatic backups of specific folders from your phone. The interface looks nice too.

• Ghoelian@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I’m actually using Photoprism on the same truenas system to view my photos, I just already had nextcloud for the rest of my files, so I’m using that to upload. They point to the same datasets, so they share the image data. I believe photoprism is pretty similar to immich, but i haven’t used immich myself.