I at least appreciate that the very first header is “Why build Proton Wallet?”.

• NeatNit
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

What the hell is Proton’s direction?

I didn’t really care about Scribe but this is just so off-brand. Just what.

• Pasta Dental@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

They said in the Reddit post that further down the road they want to implement something like Google wallet or apple pay, that would allow for credit card aliases. I think the Bitcoin solution is the one they chose to build a new platform/foundation but without all the regulation and partnerships hassle of making it for traditional payment systems.

Edit proton comment on reddit

• MHLoppy@fedia.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Imo after reading it, it doesn’t seem that crazy or off-brand anymore (so long as it gets fleshed out to use something not as transactionally-inefficient as bitcoin).

Edit: their related bitcoin guide has made me change my mind somewhat and think it’s a little crazy. I was viewing this as a stepping stone (almost a functional tech demo) towards something more reasonable, but now I’m it doesn’t look like that’s necessarily what they had in mind @_@

• UnfortunateShort@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Makes sense, a lot of alternatives are sketchy and I think many people don’t realise that Bitcoin transactions are by no means private by default.

• 0Vesper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Cool experiment - But why released an unpolished product? This is a weird trend, like ya’ll went from developing like snails (still waiting on Proton Calendar for iPadOS) to releasing new expansions faster than even the most micro-transaction hungry video game developers. Docs, Scribe (which a lot of AI skeptics are still getting a hang of, deeply appreciated but AI-branding x black box data usage takes some getting used to. Also not a new product, more an expansion for email) and now… a Bitcoin Wallet?

Very cool but since the norm for Google-centered users/digital citizens is a (perhaps illusory) degree of separation of personal and financial organization, having it as part of the Proton Suite instead of a well-integrated but separate service (or for the option to be like Scribe) is a hard pill to swallow (especially since it’s Bitcoin).

• makeasnek@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Personally very glad to see them roll out this feature. Bitcoin offers pretty decent privacy out of the box, especially with lightning. Like using any technology, using it in a fully private and anonymous way requires some attention to detail. The ability to send/receive BTC from other users knowing only their e-mail address is pretty cool. And the self-custody element is critical.

• Asudox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

This is the same “private” company which has been ignoring over 2000+ people’s votes for Monero support. It’s ironic how they are now making a cryptocurrency wallet for bitcoin.

• MoonlightFox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

The reason they don’t support Monero was adressed in a recent podcast “OptOut” with the CEO of Proton.

TLDR; they fear the biggest companies for auditing their finances, won’t work with them if they do. Which is reasonable, they are a business after all.