How fucking stupid, why the hell did I buy this shit. Had it uninstalled after like 2 hours of play assuming I’d come back to it some time later when it was in better shape, fuck me I guess. Additionally, the fucking game is STILL available to buy on steam, STILL overpriced as fuck, even with no active development (which is the whole justification for the price tag in early access).

Just really enjoyed KSP1 and had hopes KSP2 would be more fun stuff, but nope.

• PorkrollPosadist [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Oh yeah. Completely dead lmao. And it will never catch up to the richness of the KSP1 mod ecosystem, despite the limitations of the antique version of Unity it runs on.

I suggest keeping an eye on Kithack Model Club. It’s early access (so don’t necessarily open your wallet right away) but it is a very similar physics-sandbox game (minus space exploration) created by the original creator of Kerbal Space Program (Felipe Falanghe a.k.a. HarvesteR) who left Squad due to labor conditions and burnout and eventually established his own independent studio.

• riseuppikmin [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Check out the OpenSpaceProgram project on github. It’s undergoing some major changes right now but is the most promising existing base to build on imo (osp-msgnum is the repo you’re looking for).

Also to set expectations for lurkers- the project is currently an early physics test with some orbital mechanics proof of concept. Don’t expect anything substantial for years

• FunkyStuff [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

There’s so much potential for an updated version of KSP1, with colony building mechanics and deeper campaign mechanics beyond the really simplistic contracts. I think the main thing that destroyed KSP2 was the pandemic kerfuffle, if the original team had been able to update the original code (ShadowZone always says the opposite in his videos but I respectfully disagree) with the input of the KSP1 team it could’ve been great.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

K&K is cool too. I just don’t like the janky physics and how laggy the game gets when you make the kind of launcher it takes to start making colonies. If a game was made from the ground up to support large missions like that, it’d definitely be miles better than what’s possible with modded KSP, despite modders’ best efforts.

• TankieTanuki [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I try to manage lag by keeping the part count as low as possible for a given task. Nertrea’s mods are helpful here because they give you big parts that replace the function of several small ones.

Edit: Also the Tweakscale mod!

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Yeah that does help, but at the end of the day what I want to do is have complex bases with lots of Infernal Robotics stuff. If I want anything shaped weird that means assembling it in orbit and having awkward landing rigs that tend to be a lot of parts. So even if I skim a few parts by not using tons of small boosters and using the modded boosters and tanks, it comes out in the wash when I need a lot of parts for the base itself. It’s just not what the game is meant to do.

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Did you watch the Harvester interview? Here he talks about how he would have done KSP 2.

He kind of convinced me because I believed this common sense logic too. Just make a better KSP 1.

But now I don’t think KSP 2 being just updated KSP 1 would have worked, as he says. If you lead people to expect complete feature parity with KSP 1 and add new stuff it becomes a huge project(approaching AA-AAA level). And he doesn’t say it but the feature parity would definitely include some mods people take for granted too.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I hadn’t seen that, pretty good perspective. I think it comes down to the fact that they were set on making an improved version of KSP 1, and were just building on top of the old code. Engine changes and all the things they’d have to discard to make the game work would mean the game wouldn’t trivially have feature parity (which is what ended up happening with KSP 2 of course) but the idea of starting entirely from scratch just to try to make the same thing but with cleaner code and new assets was just not realistic at any point. Having full cooperation with the original Squad team was always the success condition for making it work, but the execs wouldn’t allow that.

• LaGG_3 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

At least you have KSP1. I really wanted Jumplight Odyssey to work out and League of Geeks abandoned it like a week after I passed the refund window on Steam oooaaaaaaauhhh

They’re still selling it

• Creat
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I also uninstalled after 2ish hours, but had the good sense to refund. What I got wasn’t worth 60 bucks, and I’m not gonna pay for a promise. This then starts falling under the “don’t pre-order video games” category, and I absolutely just will not do that.

There were too many delays already, the game was way too broken to be even sold at all (even as early access), it was literally a sea of red flags.

Early access is fine for indie studios with a couple of devs. It’s fine for games 10-30 bucks. It isn’t ok for games that cost 60 and are backed by a multi-billion dollar publisher or parent company. One of the reasons being that this publisher can pull the plug at any time, cause share holders are unhappy, which is exactly what happened.