• Shampiss@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Do you mean that your sadness levels are consistent among all times you’re exposed to bad examples of this linguistic change?

Should it not be “constantly saddened”, meaning that sadness is caused often upon you when seeing such examples?

If this is the case, I can relate to that. Or should I say… it do be like that sometimes

• KubeRoot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I might be wrong, but since “saddened” would express a change towards more sadness, “consistently saddened” would mean I get sad (or more sad?) every time I see that kind of thing. However, my intention is to say more that the saddening is consistent - every time I see something happens, consistently. I’m not permanently sad, but the way the language is changing is usually making me sad.

I feel like “constantly” might not be appropriate here, but again, I might just not know English well enough myself. To me, constantly would mean unchangingly, meaning I never stop being saddened. In this context, I feel like that means my mood is continuously descending - but instead those are isolated instances of temporary saddening of varying intensity.

Of course, it’s just a lighthearted comment on a meme, but I’d be happy to learn if my understanding is wrong! And, honestly, I don’t mind this kind of slang and internet speak, but it annoys me to see “literally” lose its meaning and gain the actual opposite meaning, that kind of thing.

• pumpkinseedoil@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

When I was a little child I was sad German isn’t the common language (“how great would it be if everyone in the world knew this beautiful language!”). While growing up I completely shifted towards being glad it isn’t German, I wouldn’t want that to happen to my language.