fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Huawei, Xiaomi and Samsung phones

• main reason: anti user freedom, and locking you in to their system, it’s extremely hard to wipe out your phone in order to sell it if you have a Samsung account linked to your phone, and they make it hard to flash a custom ROM, imagine buying a phone with your own money and you still need the manufacturer consent to do what you want with it…
    • confusing and slow UI
    • Ads everywhere on the UI
    • bloated with games and useless apps
    • they don’t take security seriously at all ( slow updates )
    • short update period
    • they lie in their marketing by giving big numbers ( battery capacity and camera quality for example )

And last but not least, they kill your apps

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m still waiting for a viable competitor to the Galaxy Tab S line. Literally no one makes a flagship tablet that can compete with Samsung’s build quality on those, they’re pretty much the only ~11in OLED game in town too.

• Persen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Well, I have lineageos on my XM phones (rmx4x and mi11lite5g) and they’re great except for the reliability of the 11 lite. And before you ask about it, yes the mi unlock is terrible, but after you sell your soul to Xiaomi, you can unlock it and have a good enough phone.

• ᥫ᭡ 𐑖ミꪜᴵ𝔦 ᥫ᭡@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yes, I find that is the only way to use these phones, AOSP makes them usable again, but like I said they’re constantly implementing and improving their digital locks to keep you from running away to a different OS… It’s so anti user freedom

• callyral [he/they]@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Idk if it’ll ever be for mine (Samsung Galaxy A51). Hopefully one day, if such a phone exists, i’ll have a phone that is more open and also supported by something like LineageOS.

• pumpkinseedoil@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

S24:

UI not confusing at all imo, just your typical Samsung Android. And obviously not slow since it’s a flagship phone

No ads

Not really bloated (comes with Samsung’s own apps + Google’s apps but you can uninstall most of them)

Decently fast updates

7 years software support (not only security updates but also 7 years of new Android updates)

Wouldn’t say 4000 mAh 50 MP sounds that fancy, but it works very well (lots of optimisation for the battery and good software for the camera)

Downside: expensive (~600€ new currently)

• anti-idpol action@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

also Huawei laptops. Jfc what a trashy counterfeit of a MacBook and if you get an AMD one, better also get a good cooling stand. The keyboard is terrible and costs a fuckton to replace and generally the repairability is like with macs, the USB ports are built in a way that just begs for either them or your peripherals to be broken, they might overheat while charging, they ship bloatware and the speakers are ridiculously quiet. My friend’s mom bought her one contrary to my advice to get a second-hand thinkpad or just any other business-line laptop and it she had to return the first shipment because the screen got bent during shipment.

MIUI… don’t even get me fucking started on this garbage. It literally removes numerous features from vanilla android, presumably to relocate some performance budget to the bloat they add.

• Admetus@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yep I’ve seen Huawei and Xiaomi MacBook copies and you only need to take one look at the keyboard to know they’re trashy.

I got a second hand ThinkPad and it’s fast and robust. Designed to last like a proper MacBook.