• onlinepersona@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Amazing. So much for “digital sovereignty”.

Europeans, it’s not final.

What you can do to help

The budget decision is not yet official - so there is still a chance to allocate funds for NGI. It is therefore very important to contact Ursula von der Leyen (President EU Commission), DG Connect, to ask them to make the funds available.

Pressure is also needed from member states. Contact your National Contact Point (NCP) and persuade them to also advocate for the NGI funds to be made available.

Anti Commercial-AI license

• intrepid@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

They diverted the funding for AI? AI is already a way for rich crooks to steal and make money off public information, if not an outright hype that grifters employ to attract funding for their devious pursuits. None of this is AI’s fault. But politicians should understand the type of people they are funding, instead of ignorantly falling for buzzwords.

• sunzu@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

politicians should understand the type of people they are funding

Cute of you to assume these clowns aint working together to fuck us.

This is literally text book collusion. Corpo’s saw money going to competition, so they paid politicians to send that good money to them

Win win

Fuck u peasant.

• intrepid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I had better expectations from the EU parliament. Looks like the game is lost there too.

• sunzu@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Ain’t no daddy owner saving us the slaves dawg.

We either help ourselves by direct action on personal level and solidarity at societal level or we will keep getting fucked.

Remember that the best regime enforcers are the bootlickers

• Kissaki@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The reasons for this shift in budget away from funding Free Software and the NGI initiative seems to be an allocation of more funds for AI, leaving internet infrastructure by the wayside. Meanwhile, the EC has thus far declined to comment to share its official reasoning for striking this funding from its budget.

Investing into AI seems/feels more speculative and inefficient. I think you can get a lot more value by investing the same into actual, practical projects. Training AI, and training it well, is very expensive. And the gains or results are not necessarily even predictable, let alone certainly useful or used.

• millie@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

This is what happens when people get to make decisions about things they know nothing about.

It’s like if a bunch of funding was allocated to studying harvestman venom on the basis of a Snapple cap claiming they’d be dangerous if they could bite us versus like, asking some actual entomologists.

• Beaver [she/her]@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

🇨🇭: fine I will do it myself. Now don’t come crying to me for help when your corporate software breaks.