They have approximately now lost over 5000 subscribers which equates to about $25000 per month or $300000 per year in lost revenue.

• net00@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Good, hopefully more follow. Floatplane subs have to be LMG’s most loyal audience. This is kinda surprising considering the amount of LMG apologists in reddit & LTT forums. Their level of shilling for a company is kinda unreal.

Also fuck LMG’s “investigation.” Seems like just some diversion that will result in “we found no evidence of anything” and to say they did something. Typical corporate BS.

Everything Madison said has been corroborated by another ex-employee, it aligns with her glassdoor review of last year, aligns with other anonymous employee coming forward exposing LMG’s toxic culture, and it’s supported by other bits and pieces of recordings. None of these parties are profiting by coming forward, on the contrary they are exposing themselves to the cult that is LMG’s fanbase (which drove a kid and his mom to suicide before).

Unless LMG comes up with damning evidence proving everything wrong then anyone with half a brain will see through their bullshit.

• unscholarly_source@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m condemning LMG like the next guy, but it would be good to reserve judgement until after the reports are published, at which point we can assess whether the investigation was done impartially or was biased and tampered with. The reality is, we just don’t have any evidence for either side, aside from testimonials. I’m interested in seeing what comes out of the investigation and will raise hell if the investigation is not properly conducted.

• mrpants@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

This is social media, not a court of law. My standard of determination on where my money goes and what content I watch doesn’t need to be beyond a reasonable doubt.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Fair point. If you are indeed paying LMG in any form, especially floatplane sub, that is absolutely your prerogative for sure

• mustardman
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Those people can simply resubscribe if LTT is exonerated so it’s not like it’s a death sentence.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

They never said people can’t do that, but saying that the investigation with be bad before it has even started is just jumping to conclusions.

• mustardman
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

There are so many stories about them having a toxic workplace. Happy employees generally don’t record all hands meetings on sensitive subjects, which occured after that onr employee left. It’s pretty safe to say it’s a toxic environment and investigations will simply reveal the degree of toxicity. I don’t blame anyone who wants to donate money to toxic people.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Allegations kickstart an investigative process to validate or invalidate a claim. I’m not at all saying that the allegations might not be true (before anyone misconstrues my position). But saying “it’s pretty safe to say it’s s toxic environnement and investigating will reveal the degree of toxicity” is jumping to conclusions.

Allegations and stories are NOT evidence. They are claims that need to be verified. This is why, before the days of DNA testing, so many people were wrongly convicted.

The probability is high that LMG has institutional toxicity. I’m just saying to allow for due process before passing judgement. And once everything is on the table, go HAM.

• mustardman
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

They have responded poorly to some of the allegations. This isn’t some court system where exemplary evidence is required for conviction. If I think people are acting sketchy then I don’t really care about supporting them.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

And that’s your prerogative lol. I just personally choose to follow due process prior to judgement. Otherwise, I would be repeating the same mistake Linus did (continuously), which is a pre-mature emotional response. Doesn’t mean it has to be followed by everyone, and vice versa.

• Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

(which drove a kid and his mom to suicide before)

Wait, what? Do you have a link to anything about this?

• net00@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Maybe it was his dad, not entirely sure, but it was real. You can see linus comment on the post from the kids parent:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/t1e1if/you_destroyed_my_life/

From what I know the kid had a YT channel, and their parent bought a silver YT play button from the NCIX auction years ago. Linus wanted the button back and they refused. Basement dwellers and bootlickers then proceeded to harass the kid in every way possible contributing to their suicide (and their parent’s suicide).

• NιƙƙιDιɱҽʂ@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’s worse than that. Due to a mix-up with his MCN, he never rightfully received his play button. The kid decided to give it back, but because he was so nice about it, Linus told him to keep it and rebadge it with his own channel name. The community still harassed him.

• net00@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Not his fault tbh, but that wasn’t the point I was making. Many basement dwellers over at LTT forums/reddit think Madison and GN and anyone else raising valid stuff are just “looking for attention” as if being harassed by the mob of incels is any good.

• pascal@lemm.eeOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

It’s not, but reddit is wild on this and brings up excuses like “he should have made a video showing they’re best friends” or whatever.

Linus did actually tweeted and talked a couple of minutes in a WAN show pleading his fanbase to leave this kid alone, but for reddit it was not enough.

• Xusontha@ls.buckodr.ink
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Yeah Reddit (and the rest of the internet) do get wild sometimes

Probably could have done some more to help, but that’s the moral dilemma of looking back and seeing you always could’ve done more

• WashedOver@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Was the Mindchop channel about video games? If so I recall watching a video about the NCIX auctions. I recall the mission being to buy back the youtube play button from Linus’ early days there.

I was watching due to the local uproar in the media of all of the customer data on the servers being sold to the highest bidder at the time. Being a former customer of NCIX for my personal system builds I wasn’t excited about this.

I thought this guy was an adult if it is the same thing I was thinking about. It was spun as the guy built a cool smaller channel and couldn’t get his play button for reasons I didn’t understand and at the time of the video Linus decided the guy should have it as his channel was pretty cool. Since I wasn’t a rabid LTT viewer I never saw anything more about it and honestly I probably didn’t see another LTT video for a while after that.