😁

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s the same as someone who makes $100,000 paying $7 per day.

So to Facebook, this fine is like buying a fancy latte

• Elw@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Exactly right. Facebook will factor this in as am expected cost of doing business (if they didn’t already) and their stock will go up. This isn’t a penalty, this is just like paying a bribe. In the end, both are just lining the pockets of officials more interested in appearing to do something for the next news cycle so they can get re-elected.

• Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Did you mean $365,000,000? Or did you get confused by the “.”? Cause that’s used as a comma for numbers in a lot of European countries, so it’s $100k per day, not $100.

Also, it’d be exactly 10 cents per day, since $365k per year would be $1k per day, which 100 is 10% of.

• riccardo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

From the article:

$100,000 per day for a country with ~5.4 million people is a lot. If even 20 percent used Facebook regularly, then that would still be 10 cents per user per day. It’s unlikely that Meta is generating so much profit per user - every day.

This is a reasonable observation and I wonder what Meta would do once one of their services becomes unprofitable in a specific country. Anyway if you add Instagram and WhatsApp to the math, maybe they would still generate profits from the Norwegian userbase

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t know where you’re getting that number but it’s definitely wrong. Their most profitable year so far was 2021, and they made $39.4 billion for the entire year. Source

• Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

So assuming things haven’t changed too much for them, this is about 1%. Barely noticeable.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I mean, I want them to pay as much as possible, but 1% of their global revenue, for just a small country like Norway, still seems pretty decent.

• biddy@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

No, it’s 0.1%. But Norway could be less than 1% of their market, so it’s somewhat significant.

• KonekoSalem@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think the 2 points the article makes about that are pretty valid though. It’s most probably more than Facebook’s revenue in this single country plus it’s just the beginning.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Companies operate at a loss in certain markets all the time in order to keep competition out. Even if they’re not profitable in Norway, they don’t want a Norwegian social network muscling in on their territory.

“Competition is for losers.” - Peter Thiel, first investor in Facebook and mentor of Mark Zuckerberg

• linucs@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

But I really hope this sets a precedent for all other countries, need money to finance something? Just tax the shit out of Facebook. Of course it’s a joke, we should properly tax them in the first place, or better yet force them not to exploit people data for profit

• MBM@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Is there any post about some fine for a tech company where this isn’t the top comment?