• Wander@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Comments don’t show up until there’s a user from the local instance subscribing to the remote instance. You need just one subscriber though.

Think of it like email subscription where you get emails from the moment you subbed.

On Mastodon it is possible to search for a comment’s url and have it fetched manually, but here that doesn’t seem to be the case yet, although it surely will be implemented.

• marcOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for the clarification. Could get complicated, especially with smaller remote instances…

• Wander@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The good thing is that it can be automated. On the flip side it works that way to reduce the load. Makes no sense in getting all comments if no one is going to read them. But I agree that once a user clicks on a thread, comments need to be fetched from the remote server.

• marcOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Hm, I have to ask again: initially thought I had to follow a user on the remote instance, similar to mastodon. But is that possible in Lemmy? See it only in kbin. Because the remote community in question I have subscribed to before posting.

• Wander@yiffit.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

No. You can only follow communities but that is enough.

Please check something. Make sure your community is set AT LEAST to both English and Undetermined languages.

In your user settings make sure you have selected at least English and Undetermined.

This could be what’s happening and why you can’t see the comment.

• marcOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Ok, got it. In this case it was something else: on my local instance it showed that I subscribed to the community, but on the community page itself it was stuck in status pending. Subscribed again now, hopefully this solves the problem.

• Wander@yiffit.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Oh, I see. That makes sense. That would explain why your instance didn’t receive the comments.

• Ultrawipf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Similiar issues still here as well. I can not post to many other communities and subscribing often does not work.

For example i tried posting to !espresso@infosec.pub and the post does not show up on the remote instance but is present here. Commenting on other posts in that community also did not work.

Tried resubscribing and after that it is stuck at pending again. *Tried again a few times to resubscribe and it finally worked. After editing the original post again it was finally posted.

Same issue also with !3dprinting@lemmy.ml. Subscribing does not work and posts are not updating.

Both remote instances seem to sometimes throw a 500 error and seem to be a bit unreliable. Possible that the states got out of sync and posts were refused and no other update is sent?

Retrying at different times seems to sometimes fix it but some are still stuck pending after trying for days.