I know most of y’all have fully abandoned Twitter, but good lord if he actually does this (which is not guaranteed mind you) a LOT of vulnerable people are going to get hurt.

• crowsby@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Furthermore at this point, everyone who continues to use and advertise on his platform is complicit in enabling his bullshit.

If there’s a Nazi at the table with 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you’ve got a table with 11 Nazis.

• CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

He has to be destroying Twitter on purpose, there’s absolutely no way a person could make this many perfectly idiotic decisions in a row unless it was deliberate.

What I don’t know is why you’d buy a social media platform for $44b and deliberately speed-run it into oblivion, but I’m sure the reasons are not good.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

The most obnoxious Tesla stan I’ve seen in the federated space so far has also gone full bootlicker in the thread about Youtube taking aggressive measures against adblockers. Paypiggies gonna be paypigs; they’re empty inside and the consumer identity markers are all they got.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

He’s really not clever or competent. From what i understand the only reason tesla and space-x can function is that they’ve developed proceedures for keeping him distracted and steering him away from things he can break, and even that is a constant challenge. With twitter there was no time to learn how to manage him, he just smashed through the wall, shit on the rug, and set the drapes on fire.

• daisy@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

SpaceX has the added constraints of being a NASA contractor. For example, even though Crew Dragon was designed and built by SpaceX, has to strictly follow NASA safety and reliability specifications. NASA has a huge amount of oversight into their operations even though they’re technically a private company. Which is as it should be.

• CrabAndBroom@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s what I was wondering, because he’s obviously not a smart person but things like SpaceX seem to basically function, and if he ran those the same as Twitter it’d literally be headlines like “SpaceX fires all its rockets directly into the ground for no reason” lol

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Remember when users on this site were theorising his purchase was a conspiracy spurred on by Peter Thiel in order to deliberately destroy twitter because leftists used the site to organize? I think there is an impulse to want our oppressors to be smart, so when they do dumb shit, it can’t actually be dumb

• mkultrawide [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

In my job, my clients are usually executives or VPs. They do dumb shit like this all the time. A lot of these people get to these levels of leadership for reasons that have very little to do with their competence, and they have big egos and don’t listen to anyone, even when you put lots of evidence in front of them that their ideas are fucking stupid.

• SerLava [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

This right here. Steve Jobs is literally dead because of this. He rode this to the grave. He had a very very treatable form of cancer, but literally believed he could formulate his own cure using fruit juice, until he really started dying and it was too late to cure.

And he was 100x the CEO musk is. Still an absolute narcissistic and psychopathic monster, and literal crime boss, but y’know,

• FourteenEyes [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Sure this man, gentle and of noble blood, could not be a fool! Elsewise why would the Lord God Almighty bestow upon him the natural right of rulership?

• Grownbravy [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s a part of elon’s master plan of losing advertisers, access to the app stores, losing users, etc all to….

… listen the man’s a genius, who knows whats going on in there

• ComRed2 [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I appreciate your optimism, but twitter (X, whatever) should have been destroyed a long time ago with the way he’s doing things, yet it persists…

• SerLava [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is not going to happen because

Coinflip if he does it fast enough and angrily enough to push it live before his underlings can beg him to reconsider

• SoyViking [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Twitter’s bread and butter was always that it was a platform that was attractive to celebrities and politicians and have them a direct line of communication to their fans. The celebrity accounts then drew in a large userbase.

If there’s one thing famous people doesn’t want it is to get an uncensored feed of what people think of them. They want to have the sort of engagements that promotes the kind of personal brand they are building for themselves. If you’re a big pop star you don’t want to have people posting creepy sex stuff at you, if you’re a queer icon you don’t want a deluge of homophobia and if you’re building a brand as a very serious politician you don’t want a feed full of people explaining why your bullshit doesn’t add up. The block function is a core feature to keep Twitter’s most business-critical users on the platform. Removing it will be idiotic from a business perspective.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Considering that my-hero wants DAE LE EPIC X to be a universal platform for everything, imagine everything you did or had to do having a potential swarm of stalkers and harassers all around it with no recourse at all.

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

He already appeared in my feed despite being blocked. That’s part of the reason I quit, I could see how he was turning the platform into his own personal soapbox.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Your only recourse as a target would be deactivate or suspend.

That’s exactly what the freeze-gamer gate fascists wanted all along: they wanted to swarm anyone they didn’t like until they quit or maybe even self-harmed.