• exterstellar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Gotta agree with this. I have a big workstation machine at home for work, and a thin & light laptop that does the bare minimum that I use for travel. It’s 2 lbs but still has a dedicated graphics card and good enough to do light CAD work. Everything has a practical purpose, it just depends on your specific needs.

• Astroturfed@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Obviously he’s exaggerating. I think most people agree they’d rather have some ports and extended battery life than a half pound lighter laptop.

• RagingNerdoholic@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Doesn’t mean they can’t offer both, and there’s no reason they can’t have status lights, 7-row keyboards, and reasonable port offerings (even if it’s mostly a bunch of USB C ports, which can service just about anything) in a smaller package, it’s that they’re cheap, lazy fucks selling trends instead of utility.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Are there supply issues? IDK, I haven’t looked into getting one, but there’s a number of people that have received theirs and have commented on them, good and bad.

• s_s@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

They’re only available for pre-order, they ship in 3-6 months.

• exterstellar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m pretty sure plenty of companies including Lenovo still make chunky workstations, no?

• zefiax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Laptops are primarily designed with portability in mind. If I wanted a work station I would use one. When you are traveling regularly and carrying a laptop in your backpack, every gram counts.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

See:

Doesn’t mean they can’t offer both, and there’s no reason they can’t have status lights, 7-row keyboards, and reasonable port offerings (even if it’s mostly a bunch of USB C ports, which can service just about anything) in a smaller package, it’s that they’re cheap, lazy fucks selling trends instead of utility.

So now you get less and less utility and maintainability for the same or greater price. They spend less on engineering and charge you the same or more for it. Fuck them.

• zefiax@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

That’s absolutely not true. It is very difficult to develop lighter and thinner laptops. And the main utility of a laptop is for it to meet my needs while being portable. The portability is the main utility. A laptop like this will meet the utility needs for 99% of the population while giving them what they are looking for from a laptop the most, portability.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Bullshit. Even the smallest 12" ThinkPads had all of these things. They were lightweight and compact, and still had 7-row keyboards, a status light for everything, and a plethora of ports.

• zefiax@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

I would rather have a bigger screen and thinner profile than all that bs. I don’t need all these ports, a few usb-c’s is enough. I don’t need a 7 row keyboard, 6 is enough. And I am probably a more technical user than the vast majority of people so the vast majority of people need even less. What they want is something that is super light, big screen, looks sleek, and good enough to browse the web and maybe make a powerpoint presentation once in a while. You need to realize your use case is an extremely tiny market segment and in most cases, people with your use case realize they should be using a work station to begin with.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

To be fair, even Apple is done with this stuff. Now that Ive is gone, and they seem to be listening to customers, they’re actually putting reasonable I/O on laptops again.

• skankhunt42@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My W530 won’t die. I fucking love that thing. I also have a system76 Oryx and pinebook pro but I find myself using the w530

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Same here (W520). I have maxed out everything. 32GB RAM, two SSDs, two external monitors. I will continue using this thing and make it the ThinkPad of Theseus.

Fuck modernity.

• dmm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I will use my T470 until I die, because I doubt it will die before me

• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Ever since the scandal where they changed the root certificate to enable inserting ads into Https - and worse still, IIRC made them the same (?) meaning anyone who figured it out could intercept any other affected-laptop-user’s Https - I’ve felt some caution about Lenovo laptops.

• Exec@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

That was over 8 years ago. Along with Sony’s (Music division only) CD rootkit scandal was over 18 years ago now that people often like to bring up.

• milicent_bystandr@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

8 years seems a short time to go, “eh, I guess they won’t do it again”

So does 18 years, for that matter, but I suppose more people have changed at the company in that time. I haven’t heard about the CD rootkit scandal; what was that?!

• Smeagol666@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I used to work at Lenovo’s fulfillment center through a temp company. The organization of the place (or lack thereof) is a complete clusterfuck. At the time I worked there, something like 5 to 10% of their inventory was “lost”, as in, it was somewhere in the building, but no one could find it since it’s location is no longer in the system.

• Voli@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Guess they aren’t selling it outside of Asia cause of some consumer laws we have.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Well damn, thanks for highlighting this. Didn’t even know they’re still making stuff, and Fujitsu has the cheaper FMV MH for under US$1k running Ryzen CPUs too!

• pycorax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I had a Flex 14 which had a broken keyboard. Sent it for repairs and it came back with the same issue happening a minute after I turned it on. Had a bunch of friends who got a Lenovo gaming laptop that were offered at a deal with our school (was a Y-something I can’t recall). All of them ended up with strange green bands on their screens within 2 years. The whole superfish fiasco basically cemented that they’re not a company I would buy anything from ever again.

I’m currently using a Asus Zephyrus G14 and it’s been practically a flawless experience.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

You have to stay with the X, T or P series to get anything with decent quality. They’ve sullied the ThinkPad brand greatly over the years with the cheapshit variations outside of these series.

• Virtual Insanity @lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

E series at the right price is alright too.

X and T are always nicer, but more expensive.

Really gotta stay away from IdeaPad, they’re the true rubbish.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Nah, there’s no point in a cheap laptop unless you want to repair or replace it after the warranty expires. Too many cheap corner cuts, wears out faster.

• terminhell@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The legion series is terrible. Same for HP omen, and Dell alienware. The OEMs just cut too many corners for “gaming” stuff. I’ve repaired them all. Desktop and laptops, across all these brands.

• Virtual Insanity @lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’ve had terrible experiences with all brands bar ThinkPad.

ThinkPad specifically too, IdeaPad, and Legion are consumer garbage.

• valkyre09@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I bought an ideapad pro 5i 14” a few days ago. I was delighted to see it ran Ubuntu perfectly with no driver issues.

Ironically, the keyboard and trackpad didn’t work in windows until I installed the drivers (made for a more difficult install)

What’s the long term usage like with Mint? Does it have decent battery life?

• MrNesser@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve worked in IT for over 20 years Lenovo have never released a decent laptop in my experience and opinion.

• Vlyn@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I have a Thinkpad T16 Gen 1 (Price around $3000 based on its configuration, like 48 GB RAM) at work and it’s a piece of shit.

For example they fucked up their BIOS, so it sometimes needed 2 minutes to boot. Lenovo admitted they have an issue there… after I messed with some BIOS settings I got it down to 30 seconds at least (but it’s still not great). It also has heat issues and immediately clocks down the Intel 6 core CPU if you do anything demanding (like compiling). And it has a weird tick with the fans, where it sometimes out of nowhere spins the fans up from 0 to 100 for just a second or so. Haven’t been able to fix that one yet.

Overall it’s an okay laptop, but for the price it sucks. The whole company now thinks about switching away from Lenovo after we had other troubles (like the charging port not working for a colleague).

• YⓄ乙 @aussie.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Wow! Never heard of such issues. I had a t14, great laptop for the time I spend at that company. Now I am at new place doing 9-5 and they gave me Microsoft surface laptop. Its even worst than lenovo. Overall I hate 9-5 and my life now.

• Vlyn@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Yeah, Surface isn’t really a work laptop. My company is starting to think of switching to Dell (probably won’t be great either).

Overall pretty much all laptops are overpriced pieces of shit. The only good thing is the mobility, but if I actually want performance and a quiet machine, please just give me a desktop. If I needed my computer in a meeting room at the last company I just grabbed the meeting laptop and went remote to my desktop.

• YⓄ乙 @aussie.zone
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  10 months ago

Framework looks promising. I know a guy who started a company and has 3 employees. He got all of them framework laptops. He mentioned so far no one has complained. I am thinking to work for him instead of some shitty mega corp.

• be_excellent_to_each_other@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

So who released a decent laptop in your opinion?

Considering they led with “Lenovo hasn’t released a decent laptop in 20 years”, I’m guessing they’ll go with HP.

• steltek@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Thinkpads always seem to have garbage screens. It felt like they maxed out at 1340x768 res for a long time and even when I last looked a year or two ago, 1080p seemed like the best you can get in most cases.

• BeezKnuts@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Every thinkpad released in the last 5 years has had screens with 100% adobe rgb color accuracy. They’re almost all at least brighter than 300 nits. Some brighter than 400. They’re objectively incredible screens. 1366x768 hasn’t been the standard in a long time. 1440p has been an option for a long time too. As far back as the t460 or the first gen x1 carbon like 10 years ago. The last ThinkPad I can see where 1366x768 was even an option was the t490 in 2017. After that they moved onto 16:10 screens and made 1920x1200 the minimum. Hell even 1800p OLED screens have been available in some models for 7 years. The t570 and p50 both have 4k screens and they’ve been available for about 7 years as well.

• Vlyn@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As you’re earning downvotes, let me throw in a +1 here (I also thought Thinkpads are the goat, till I got one):

I have a Thinkpad T16 Gen 1 (Price around $3000 based on its configuration, like 48 GB RAM) at work and it’s a piece of shit.

For example they fucked up their BIOS, so it sometimes needed 2 minutes to boot. Lenovo admitted they have an issue there… after I messed with some BIOS settings I got it down to 30 seconds at least (but it’s still not great). It also has heat issues and immediately clocks down the Intel 6 core CPU if you do anything demanding (like compiling). And it has a weird tick with the fans, where it sometimes out of nowhere spins the fans up from 0 to 100 for just a second or so. Haven’t been able to fix that one yet.

Overall it’s an okay laptop, but for the price it sucks. The whole company now thinks about switching away from Lenovo after we had other troubles (like the charging port not working for a colleague).

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have a yoga slim pro something or other (amd) that’s been running fine for a bit over a year. It runs Linux, but it’s probably ok under windows as well.