• Aceticon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 hours ago

Actually, if you want to take what I said seriously, cooling liquids just have a high termal capacity and decent or high termal conductivity as well as being at the liquid stage at the temperature range they’re supposed to work in: a cooling liquid by itself it does not cool anything, it just absorbs heat from the environment on one side of the circuit, carries that heat somewhere else and releases it to the environment there and after that it circulates back to absorb some more heat and so on - the name “cooling liquid” is somewhat deceitful since those liquids work by transporting heat from a hot side to a cold side rather than making things cooler by their mere presence.

There are plenty of combustible fluids which fit the criteria and could be used as liquid coolants. Whether it would be wise to use a combustible liquid (worse, one which would burn at a high enough temperature to melt, or at least to soften, steel) for cooling computers is an entirelly different matter altogether.

The idea of a cooling liquid that’s combustible is actually the “it’s absolutelly possible” part of my post and not the “stupid” part.

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

yeah sorry bud but i’ve done my own research and cooling liquids burn cold, i won’t fall for your industry propaganda.