• tatterdemalion@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    14 days ago

I’m grateful for what Cosmic has done for Rust Wayland compositors. I’ll have to give it a try and see if it has any advantages over Sway.

• Chewy
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

I like the Cosmic tiling better than Sway, because it tiles through the long edge by default.

I.e. If I just two windows after each other, Sway will tile them as two equal columns. If I open another window, it’ll add another column, while making each column the same size.

Cosmic also creates two equal columns with two windows, but the next window tiles the focused column horizontally.
      With three windows this means half the screen is a single window, the other half is two windows taking up a quarter of the screen. Obviously if you instead focus another window, it’ll be tiled instead.

This is basically the same behaviour as the autotiling script for Sway/i3, but it works reliably (I’ve always had issues with those scripts).

• Michael Murphy (S76)@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

Niri is also based on the smithay library we use for COSMIC, so there’s some collaborative work between COSMIC and Niri on Smithay.