It turns out that Android phone users can rename group chats for all participating iPhone owners thanks to RCS.

• jonne@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

Yeah, I have the same issue with WhatsApp. I have a group with my wife and parents that my parents just called myfirstname/wifefirstname, which makes no sense to us (on our end we’d like to call it ‘jonne’s parents’ or whatever).

Same with any other group chat we’d like to start that includes a tradie or whatever.

I’m sure it’s fun for your average plumber to have 50 different group chats with clients that are all called ‘plumber’.

• akilou@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

On the other hand though it is nice to have a common name. Like I’m in a group with the other parents of kids at my kid’s daycare. Sometimes you want the name to be common, sometimes you want it to be individual.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 hours ago

What does the name being common in that case get you that individual doesn’t? The only thing I can think of is not having to take the trouble to name it yourself, which is such a minor thing.

• Chewy
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 hours ago

A default group name, which can be changed individually would be great.

• stephen01king@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 hours ago

Or just have a common name, but allow people to put in a group nickname that only applies to them.

• Chewy
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                52 minutes ago

Agreed. That’s even better.