Are there any devices that, by default/by design, allow the user to unlock the bootloader totally offline, no ransom, validation, account, internet or whatever required?

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

I think OEM, non-carrier OnePlus phones do (someone correct me if I’m wrong or out of date). I just setup Lineage 21 on a OnePlus Nord N200 (ca 2021) and after enabling bootloader unlock in developer settings, I just had to pass the oem unlock command to fastboot. The carrier-branded ones require you to go through the unlock code request, and those take a minimum of one week (and can be cockblocked by the carrier for whatever reason).

There may be some kind of Android check, though, because the “Allow OEM Unlock” developer option was greyed out until I connected the phone to wifi for a few minutes. Not sure what that’s about, but it’s common for most/all android devices. I don’t know of any device that lets you unlock the bootlaoder without first enabling that in dev options.

• yokonzo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

OnePlus “used” to be the unlockable phone, they changed their policy around 9 I believe

• over_clox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I have a Blu B131DL that allows the bootloader to be unlocked without being online. No WiFi, no SIM card, it just simply allows unlocking. No catches.

I haven’t actually done anything with it though, it’s still on its stock Android 11, but it’s nice to know I have that option.

• over_clox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

It’s definitely not a top notch phone, so don’t expect it to be a powerhouse of a gaming phone or whatever, but it’s actually a pretty decent phone to be fair.

It doesn’t have many sensors, only the accelerometer, light, proximity, and significant motion sensors, so don’t expect it to work with RFID or NFC devices either. No compass sensor either ☹️

But where it lacks in power and features, it makes up for in an amazing battery life, plus even the stock Android ain’t too damn bad. 👍

• Auster@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

User GodlessCommie commented here in the post that Pixel phones use an online check, so maybe OnePlus is the same indeed.