• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Copy/pasting my comment from the earlier thread on this that got deleted for misinformation

After reading about the actual feature (more), this seems like an absolutely gigantic non-issue. Like most anti-Mozilla stories end up being.

The whole thing is an experimental feature intended to replace the current privacy nightmare that is cross-site tracking cookies. As-implemented it’s a way for advertisers to figure out things like “How many people who went to our site and purchased this product saw this ad we placed on another site?”, but done in such a way that neither the website with the ad, nor the website with the product, nor Mozilla itself knows what any one specific user was doing.

The only thing I looked for but could not find an answer on one way or the other is if Mozilla is making any sort of profit from this system. I would guess no but actually have no idea.

There are definitely things that can be said about this feature, like “Fuck ad companies, it should be off by default” (my personal take), or “It’s a pointless feature that’s doomed to failure because it’ll never provide ad companies with information as valuable as tracking cookies, so it’ll never succeed in its goal to replace tracking cookies” (also my take). But the feature itself has virtually no privacy consequences whatsoever for anybody.

I’m absolutely convinced there’s a coordinated anti-Firefox astroturfing campaign going on lately.

• Blisterexe@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I genuinely cannot understand why people hate mozilla so much, it boggles the mind.

• vonxylofon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 hours ago

It’s not like it’s not been rolling out features and opting people in without telling them…

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

I love Firefox, I’ve even spent money to support it in the past. The Mozilla organization seems at best incompetent and at worst willfully corrupt. There’s no love lost here.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 hours ago

When your mission is to create a safe and private web and you squandered your organization’s money to give huge payouts to your executives for not achieving their stated goals, that’s a form of corruption. Their relationship with Google was always viewed with skeptic eyes too. There are more. Nothing people can prove, but looks suspicious. Like I said, at best incompetence.

• ysjet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Google is spending a lot of cash to make Firefox look bad so people are unmotivated to change away from Chrome when manifest v3 is fully rolled out.

• Corvid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

There’s so many anti-Mozilla people on Lemmy it’s crazy. I’m getting downvotes in other threads in this community for pointing out that all the anti-Mozilla FUD has amounted to nothing of substance.

• devfuuu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

There are many interests playing to make sure it is destroyed. Any little non issue explodes big. Or people just don’t know how to read.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I’m all for this. All of this will be blocked on my devices anyway but for the greater good, this would be a great step to take

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Yeah - I’ve actually softened my own stance since I wrote that paragraph near the end, too, I just didn’t feel like editing a message that I claimed to have copy/pasted. While I still have no intention of enabling the feature in my install, that’s out of pure spite for anything that could conceivably help an advertiser somewhere, even if it isn’t at my expense. I do see value in the feature itself existing. While I think the industry is unlikely to abandon tracking cookies and swap to this system voluntarily, I could see certain governments eventually mandating such a change, if the feature proves robust enough.

I might even go as far as to agree that on-by-default is the better option for the feature’s chances of success - but for new installs. When new features are added to existing installs in updates, particularly if those features are in the “Privacy & Security” section of the settings page, it would probably be better practice to ask the user to pick an option on the first boot after updating.

• BelatedPeacock@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      19 hours ago

Edit: I did a stupid. Anonym made PPA and that was part of the acquisition.

The only thing I looked for but could not find an answer on one way or the other is if Mozilla is making any sort of profit from this system. I would guess no but actually have no idea.

Fuck ad companies…

Mozilla bought an ad company (Anonym) shortly after implementing PPA. Their goal appears to be to pivot their revenue plan to (in part) being an ad company.

I’m absolutely convinced there’s a coordinated anti-Firefox astroturfing campaign going on lately.

I cannot know for sure whether that’s true or not, but a lot of very bad decisions have happened at Mozilla over the last six months and I think they’ve been the straw that’s broken the camel’s back.

• zkfcfbzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        20 hours ago

Their acquisition of Anonym was all about acquiring the feature this article is about, PPA. Anonym created PPA. In fact Anonym seems to have been created for the explicit purpose of creating this privacy-respecting system as an alternative to cross-site tracking cookies. I see no reason to doubt Mozilla’s intentions here.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

The article which was removed for misinformation got me curious. So I finally downloaded and installed LibreWolf (which is Firefox under the hood). After using it for full day I really like it so far. Another user (thanks, @RustyNova@lemmy.world ) gave me some good tips to pay attention to the two icons to the left of the URL bar, which was very helpful.

• FiskFisk33@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Every single time someone mentions they abandoned firefox for something “better”, it’s chromium based. Privacy is good, but the most important for me is to avoid monopoly/monoculture.

• Grangle1@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Falkon is better for privacy than stock Chrome or Firefox, but I still find Brave or LibreWolf better than that.

• Peffse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

I chucked Brave shortly after they decided to install a VPN service on my machine without consent or notification.

A service that silently reinstalled itself on Brave update.

A service that did not remove itself when you uninstall Brave. It took a lot of research and time to rip out the guts of that. I will never trust Brave again.

• Draconic NEO@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          21 hours ago

I think brave should be disregarded as something safe and privacy respecting if they were willing to silently whitelist Facebook trackers in the past. Then there is their whole crypto obsession.

• nyan@lemmy.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Only problem is that you wouldn’t be able to visit most sites, because Mosaic only supports HTTP 1.0. You could go for Lynx, though. Just remember to disable the cookie support.