link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    15 hours ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex

My fave parts (edited for brevity):

The adult mites are 0.3–0.4 mm (3⁄256–1⁄64 in) long. Each has a semitransparent, elongated body that consists of two fused parts. Eight short, segmented legs are attached to the first body segment. The body is covered with scales for anchoring itself in the hair follicle, and the mite has pin-like mouthparts for eating skin cells and oils that accumulate in the hair follicles.

… and …

The mites are transferred between hosts through contact with hair, eyebrows, and the sebaceous glands of the face.

Ohhh good.

• Classy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      40 minutes ago

3⁄256

Please don’t let the Amish at my work know that such small increments of size exist. They’ll ask me to cut my trim to that level of tolerance

• unemployedclaquer@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 hours ago

This is why it’s okay to make out with randos at parties and such. You get mono for 6 months plus accretion of zillions of new friends.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

Wait, 0.3mm is huge, you should be able to see that. I don’t think this is right.

• Krackalot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

Agreed. 1/64th of an inch is .016". An average human hair is .003" in diameter, that would be as long as five hairs wide. You wouldn’t even need a magnifier to see the largest ones.

• brown567@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

I learned recently that machinists used to use fractions to indicate tolerance, like a dimension given as 5/16 could be ±1/32 of an inch, because anything less than 9/32 would round to 4/16, and anything more than 11/32 to 6/16.

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

It can still happen, but usually at the customer’s request/requirements. We actually use inches at a much smaller scale, but use decimals instead of fractions.