• zephorah@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Jesus, that’s the basest of bacterial soups he’s basting in. That’s sewage and corpse water.

Necrotizing fasciitis isn’t a single bacteria. It’s a bacteria gone wild such that the tissue dies under the stress of it. This guy’s feet and junk are in that mess.

Horrifying outcomes may happen.

• NegativeInf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Well, that’s a great way to get a really bad infection.

Flood waters contain everything from sewage to dead animals to parasites.

• AwesomeLowlander@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

Edit: The downvotes are making me wonder how many people didn’t get past the first sentence before skipping the rest.

God is God to all living things, fire ants included. And did He not say, ‘Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.’ (Genesis 9:3). And lo, the fire ants rejoiced, and partook of his great bounty (college students sitting in flood waters), and were fruitful.

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Going to school in a hurricane-prone state? That sounds like a great idea!

Seriously I refuse to live anywhere that wouldn’t remain well above sea level even if you melted every ice crystal on earth. If the universe wants to natural disaster me to death it’s gonna have to go the extra million miles and drop an asteroid on me.

• GreyBeard@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

You should learn a little geography. NC is a very wide state. Most of it hasn’t been prone to hurricanes. The coast gets hit every few years with a decent one, but it’s been over 30 years since one came anywhere close to that far inland with more than the power of a heavy storm.

• ieatpillowtags@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

As the name of the school implies, it’s in the Appalachian mountains…so hundreds of miles from the sea?

Not exactly hurricane territory.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

Helene ended up around the southern tip of Illinois and Indiana so uh, yeah, everything from the Gulf to one state south of the Great lakes is hurricane territory now.

• shastaxc@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Well I guess we can’t go to universities in the eastern half of the US. And not in the middle either (tornadoes), and not in the west either (wildfires). Should we all move to Wyoming? This Lemming seems to know what’s best for us 340 million Americans. Surely we can all fit in Wyoming. It’ll be a glorious utopia!

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Places thousands of feet above sea level found themselves under deep water after this storm.

• Legge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 day ago

If a 400 sq mi area gets 2 ft of rain and there’s a low valley area surrounded mostly by mountains, the water will drain down the mountainsides to the valley. It’s like a big bowl. The water that settles in the valley will be more than 2 ft because of the rest of the runoff from even higher elevations

• HappycamperNZ@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 hours ago

Yes, but that valley usually has an outflow at its low point in the form of a river. I can understand it getting that deep, but not it staying there.

• Sludgeyy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 hours ago

What happens if you turn your kitchen sink on? Your drain shouldn’t have a problem draining the amount of water.

Now take a large 5 gallon bucket of water. Dump the whole thing in your sink.

Not only is the amount of water too much for the drain but the volume of water makes it hard for the drain to even function properly.

How long is there going to be water filling in the sink? Eventually, it will all find its way out, but that takes time

• Legge@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 hours ago

That’s right: usually. Sometimes no. Or sometimes the volume of water only slowly drains away (like some rivers move extremely slowly and it’s almost as if it’s not moving at all). If it takes 3 days for the water in the normally filled river to move 1 mile, even if it takes 2 days with the flooded valley to drain instead of 3, that’s still 2 days of floods.

Imagine you drop a bunched up shirt onto the floor. If you look, you’ll see that there are lower spots surrounded on all sides of high spots. Terrain irl is not so different from that in spots. Hope this helps explain :)

• GraniteM@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                12 hours ago

And don’t forget that quite a lot of the rivers are likely clogged with downed trees, landslides, and other debris, further showing the draining process.