• Visstix@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

He sexually harassed extras on set. I’m glad this pretentious asshole loses his money.

• A_Union_of_Kobolds@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

I wonder if it’s any good, all I hear is how little money it made like that means anything to anyone but the producers.

• GeneralEmergency@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

The only people I have seen saying good things about it, are the same people who think hating what’s popular is a personality trait.

• unknowing8343
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

It’s bad. If it was good, the story would have been pretty different.

Obviously some people will still like it. But even those will have to admit it’s an incredible mess, and it shows why no company wanted to invest in it.

• Kelly@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            18 minutes ago

wikiless.org is using a TLS cert that expired in February.

I don’t know the project very well but if they’ve been giving cert errors for half a year it might be time to link directly to Wikipedia.

• Sʏʟᴇɴᴄᴇ@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

I saw it hoping this was the case, but sadly it’s just not very good. I loved the visuals, the ambition, and his commitment to try and breakout of traditional storytelling methods, but the ham-fisted handling of the subject matter really ruined it for me. By all means see it for yourself and be your own judge but I wouldn’t go in expecting an underrated masterpiece.

• Richard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

Not really sad. Coppola is an artist, first and foremost, and he said that he doesn’t care whether the film will be financially successful. It is a passion project financed at least partially from his own money, and to be his magnum opus.

• unknowing8343
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

It’s bad. It’s bad and we’ve been knowing this for months, as it premiered in some festival.

It’s so bad no distributors wanted any piece of the cake (because the necessary costs are astronomical).

• Richard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 hours ago

AFAIK, the movie received a 10-minute standing ovation at Cannes. It is an art film first and foremost, and probably not for the general audience that flocks to the same old, boring formulaic movies a la Marvel & co.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 hours ago

Every movie at Cannes gets a ten minute standing ovation. That’s normal.

I’m excited to see this though. But I’m not going to go to the theatre for it.

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 hours ago

But I’m not going to go to the theatre for it.

Same here, and frankly I will never again think it is surprising that a theatrical release is underperforming. Doesn’t matter which film. Theaters are underperforming because of many factors.

I can buy my own copy of the film for less than it would take for me and one other person to see it together once in a theater.