Just started getting this now. Hopefully it’s some A/B testing that they’ll stop doing, but I’m not holding my breath

• PresidentCamacho@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

So you’re offloading the JS processing onto the server? I cant be understanding this correctly because there is no way anyone wants to pay for the serverside cost of something that used to be an end user “cost”. Also this would add interaction latency.

• ClassifiedPancake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 days ago

There is no latency on static pages. They are rendered once as regular HTML and then saved on the server to be immediately ready for the user. The server is only processing that initial data fetching and rendering once per site. If needed, it can be retriggered. This is great for blogs and other regular pages.

Server pages on the other hand will do the initial fetch request every time but once the site is there, no data is missing and everything is there. It’s not for everyone. Regular dynamic pages still make sense. For every method there are use cases.

Disclaimer: I’m speaking from my experience with Next.js which did the same thing long before and React now aims to make that easier. But I’m not sure if React has the distinction between static and server. It’s all new and I haven’t had a project to test it on yet.

• PresidentCamacho@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

Oh I see, its only for a static page. This makes so much more sense.

I can see why you mentioned this feature fits weird with react, and I have to agree, its contradictory to the entire purpose of React lol.

• ClassifiedPancake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 days ago

It does make sense when you mix. You get the benefit of instant rendering and dynamic content all in one. And web dev becomes even more complicated…