There have been at least 50 school shootings in the United States so far this year, as of September 19. Thirteen were on college campuses, and 37 were on K-12 school grounds. The incidents left 24 people dead and at least 66 other victims injured, according to CNN’s analysis of events reported by the Gun Violence Archive, Education Week and Everytown for Gun Safety.

https://www.cnn.com/us/school-shootings-fast-facts-dg/index.html

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

It’s literally in the first paragraph:

There have been at least 50 school shootings in the United States so far this year, as of September 19. Thirteen were on college campuses, and 37 were on K-12 school grounds. The incidents left 24 people dead and at least 66 other victims injured, according to CNN’s analysis of events reported by the Gun Violence Archive, Education Week and Everytown for Gun Safety.

And if you read the article from NPR and look at the data from GVA, you will see a pattern of school shootings that aren’t school shootings, but are counted as such because they happened near a school or some other reason.

An example is a pellet gun being used to shoot out the window on a school bus on the weekend…do you think that should be counted as a school shooting? I hope you don’t.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

What source should be used?

And was there more than one school shooting this year? Because that’s one more than almost every other Western country.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to downplay this problem.

Edit: Don’t bother reading below for a source. They don’t give one. They’re just here to troll.

• voracitude@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

Sorry bud, I do usually agree with you, but I think you might be in the wrong on this one. Why don’t you find the NPR article convincing that maybe these numbers are might be inflated (edit: didn’t mean to use a declarative statement there)? Are you contending that NPR is misrepresenting the numbers and/or trying to push an agenda? They don’t really have a track record of either as far as I’m aware.

edit 2: leaving this because it’s still true:

Looking at the actual scope of an issue isn’t downplaying it. Nor is checking if the reporting is accurate. And accurate reporting (of data, I mean, as opposed to news) is extremely important when passing laws, so it is something to care about.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 hours ago

FFS! I never said the numbers weren’t inflated! I asked for a better source! They refused to give one.

• voracitude@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 hours ago

edit: clarified my misunderstanding

If you want a better source, that’s fine; I don’t have one, I’m not that other guy and I’m not trying to prove anything myself. I just want to know what’s wrong with NPR as a source, or what’s wrong with that particular article.

I think you might be taking issue with the fact that this guy wants to say the Gun Violence Archive counts non-shooting incidents as shootings? He’s wrong, they don’t; that GVA link points to “school incidents”, where even finding a gun is counted. CNN’s methodology for counting seems reasonable.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 hours ago

Nothing’s wrong with it. If that’s a good source, it’s a good source. They said the GVA source was a bad one, so I asked for a better one and got a bunch of lies about myself in return from them.

• voracitude@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                8 hours ago

I misunderstood, it read in the conversation like you were rejecting NPR saying the actual numbers were pretty hard to confirm (which does make sense, what school official is going to want to talk to the press about violence that happened in their school?), and I couldn’t figure out why 😅 Thanks for clarifying that!

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 hours ago

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/school-shootings?page=1

Have a go through there. You’re literally putting republican logic to your statement…“who cares if it’s false, as long as there is a bit of truth somewhere”…

Facts matter when discussing these topics, because they are what’s used to create/shape laws. If laws are built upon lies, like the patriot act, then the law was not created with the right goals in mind.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 hours ago

You’re literally putting republican logic to your statement…“who cares if it’s false, as long as there is a bit of truth somewhere”…

That is a disgusting lie. I said nothing of the sort.

I’m literally doing the opposite of that since I asked you what source should be used.

Then I asked you if there was more than one.

I didn’t say anything even remotely like, “who cares if it’s false, as long as there is a bit of truth somewhere.”

You should be ashamed of yourself with trolling this shitty.

I should have realized you’d lie about what I said in direct response to the thing I said yet again since this is the third or fourth time you’ve done it.

Oh, and now it’s time for you to tell the lie that I want to ban guns. You’ve done that one before.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 hours ago

That is a disgusting lie. I said nothing of the sort.

You did. You’re downplaying the fact that the GVA uses junk data to drive an agenda.

I’m literally doing the opposite of that since I asked you what source should be used.

By using the next line of:

Then I asked you if there was more than one.

Which implies that. Who cares as if there is more than one it’s the same problem. Which is not the case at all, if we had thousands of kids being killed constantly in school, that’s a totally different issue than if we had one outlier shooting every year.

I didn’t say anything even remotely like, “who cares if it’s false, as long as there is a bit of truth somewhere.”

You pretty much did. You are equally giving weight to false numbers.

You should be ashamed of yourself with trolling this shitty.

You clearly don’t understand trolling, at this point you should know I’m not a troll.

I should have realized you’d lie about what I said in direct response to the thing I said yet again since this is the third or fourth time you’ve done it.

Sure thing, totally… you’re all about the truth and you really are for legislation that’ll actually fix the problem, not emotionally driven legislation, because even 1 school shooting is the same as 50…

Oh, and now it’s time for you to tell the lie that I want to ban guns. You’ve done that one before.

The end goal is always, a ban from the anti2a crowd. Making something so damn impossible to obtain, is a defacto ban. Just remember that those who put the rules in place, will make sure minorities, LGBTQ+, and women will be the main ones unable to obtain firearms.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 hours ago

Stopped reading at your first line, which was another lie. I asked you which source should be used. That’s all I did. I just asked a fucking question. You didn’t even answer it.

This conversation is over. You are just a troll.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 hours ago

You asked a loaded question, but if you want to use a source, use the FBI data.

And was there more than one school shooting this year? Because that’s one more than almost every other Western country.

This is your own question, which you answered by saying it’s one more than almost every other Western country. So no you weren’t asking a question, you were trying to make a statement.

• voracitude@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 hours ago

I agree it should be separated, but that doesn’t make it bad data. Unless you don’t know how to read tables, but that’s more of an individual problem than an issue with the information provided.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                17 minutes ago

It’s bad data because it’s used as a contention point to make people think mass shootings happen ever 4 seconds or a school shooting every day. When this is completely incorrect. We get pissed at scientist who indulge in their papers, but this gets a pass?

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 hours ago

Frankly, it doesn’t matter what is and what is not counted as a school shooting. If one shooting happens, and one child is murdered-

It’s one too fucking many.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 minutes ago

More kids die getting to school, more die from drowning, more die from preventable diseases…the only reason one is to many for you in this instance is because you hate the idea of an armed populous. It’s not about the deaths, it’s about how they die.

• Soup@lemmy.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          13 minutes ago

So… wait. You’re…… defending school shootings? If not then maybe back the fuck off. I’m saying ONE school shooting is too fucking many.

If you disagree with this. You have a SERIOUS problem.