I happened to notice today that the “Itchy and Scratch Land” episode of The Simpsons aired just over 30 years ago (on Oct. 2nd, 1994).

That means that, for a full 3 decades now, I have checked every single gift, souvenir, and tourist shop I’ve been in for a Bort plate. Its not obsessive and I’m not going out of my way, but if I see a rack of novelty license plates I make a point to look for Bort.

Anyone else, or am I alone in this particular pop culture predilection?

• lolola@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

If you’re having a hard time finding Bort merch, the reason is obvious: they keep selling out before you get there.

• cobysev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I felt for Bart in this scene. Just once, I’d like to find my own name (Coby). But there are always Cody or Colby plates. Never Coby. My name is just extremely uncommon, I guess.

• adarza@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

but look at all that cheap chinese electronics junk that’s got your name on it.

• cobysev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 hour ago

I have never owned a Coby Electronics device that worked. They’re all garbage. I actually bought a radio of theirs once, and the battery compartment was too small to fit the AA batteries it asked for! I had to literally break the plastic case so I could squeeze a couple AAs in there.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

Don’t make me tap the sign!

• Albbi@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

I too look for Bort when I’m at a souvenir shop. I think I found it once.