• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

I blocked my two TVs from phoning home via my pihole. They are the two noisiest devices on my network, by leaps and bounds.

On a day of heavy usage, my phone and desktop may get ~2000 blocked requests combined. That’s high, but not unheard of. It just means I did a lot of browsing, with a lot of blocked ad requests. My TVs average somewhere around 7500 blocked requests per day, on days that I haven’t even turned them on. That’s an attempt to phone home every ~12 seconds. And it is much worse on days that I actually use them.

• MajorasMaskForever@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Jesus dude, what brand TV do you have?

My LG issues a few hundred blocked requests throughout the day with heavy usage. I’ve never seen it wake up and phone home (my Nintendo Switch does it every hour for some stupid reason)

• cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Maybe i’m stupid, but why would a TV even do that? All it’s know is what you’re watching today, right? How is that information useful? If you’re living with other people, the TV couldn’t even know who’s watching, that would make the data useless.

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

Data mining. They know what you watch, when you don’t and any other habits you have.

If you have a microphone on your remote or tv, then they also send that data over.

• ArcticPrincess@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Knowing the distribution of what entire households watch is very useful. It’s not about spying on you personally.

• null@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

And what other devices are on the network, and what they’re chattering about