Not sure when iCloud on the web got this good, finally becoming a legit alternative to Google Drive or OneDrive

@apple_enthusiast

• TCB13@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

Remember that Apple had to dumb down the macOS version of Pages, Keynote and Numbers at some point (from iWork 09 to single apps) to later on release something even more dumbed down for iOS… and now we have the ultra-dumbed down version for the web.

• Meldrik@lemmy.wtf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

They have lately been improving their web apps a lot, but once you can edit sheets on Proton Drive and has a Linux client, I am gonna switch.

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

You re going to switch to which, proton? I just started switching back from proton drive to iCloud. Also switching back to Password from proton pass. They were both just such a hassle, it wasn’t at all worth it for me.

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

I am a long time Bitwarden user (since the first lastpass breach), how is passwords? Does it have an import function?

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

It sure does. Basically Apple took the iCloud password function and made it into a separate app, which is a big improvement on something that worked pretty darn well already.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 day ago

I just recently imported all my passwords from Bitwarden to passwords. It’s been smooth sailing so far, very happy with my choice. If you have any specific questions I might be able to answer them.

• nocturne@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 day ago

I personally am very happy with Bitwarden, but I have been unable to get my wife to leave lastpass and my kids refuse to use a password locker. Hopefully passwords will nudge them that way.

I may also use it for work, some of my passwords I need anyone using the shop iPad to have access but I do not want them in my Bitwarden vault.

• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

iCloud has come some ways but there is still a huge feature disparity between it and competitors like Google.

iCloud is a good accessory if you’re already somewhat involved in Apple’s ecosystem but you have to pay if you want more than a fraction of a thimbleful of storage and it lacks many basic features and compatibilities. iCloud Drive in particular is extremely barebones and completely overshadowed by Google, Proton, and Microsoft.

Also another thing is that cloud suites need to be platform agnostic and iCloud is very ass when used from the web. This will continue to be a major thing holding it back until Apple accepts that iCloud won’t truly succeed until they stop giving an inferior experience to non-Apple devices.

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

For productivity, the iCloud suite is getting up there. It still has a way to go to be as good as OneDrive and Google Drive imo. One important to me feature I like about Drive and OneDrive is that they don’t require you to download entire media files to be able to play them. I basically keep all my media on Google Drive for this reason. Excel and Sheets both have more powerful data formulas compared to numbers (or at least they have much better documentation on how to use them) so I prefer sheets over numbers.

iCloud is definitely getting there and if I didn’t have the niche specific needs I’d probably just stick with the 2TB family iCloud plan.

• 2xsaiko
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

iCloud Photos for some reason still only allows you to upload JPEG files from the web. Can’t even upload HEIC which makes absolutely no sense considering it’s now their main photo format.

But yeah, other than that it’s pretty good.