This is shameless self-promotion, but part of a working theory I have that Mastodon users have more to offer Lemmy than your average Reddit user. See my other post about it here: https://lemmy.blahaj.zone/post/2174573

TLDR: Mastodon users are inherently active posters and already understand federation. Also there are MILLIONS of them.

Please consider following if you’d like to get more Lemmy in your Mastodon feed or more Mastodon users in your Lemmy feed!

• Izzy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I don’t care much for the interoperability between Mastodon and Lemmy, but having more users from Mastodon come to Lemmy sounds good to me.

• ShittyKopper [they/them]@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You know how when you’re the first one to subscribe to a community in an instance and you only get the first handful of posts? Imagine that for nearly every post you come across.

Also authorized fetch / secure mode not being completely implemented by Lemmy means some responses might not be making it through here as well.

In addition to instances on both ends of the software gap that may be misconfigured in a way the other can’t make sense of.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The mastodon interface doesn’t show the threading of a conversation, so it’s super easy to get lost as to what’s a reply to what. As a result, a mastodon reply to a thread can often be made at an arbitrary point and without really having a grasp on what else has been said and why, because it’s all just presented in flattened feed.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t care much for the interoperability between Mastodon and Lemmy, but having more users from Mastodon come to Lemmy sounds good to me.

Yeah, but if interoperability were better between Mastodon and Lemmy, you could just boost/“Retweet” Lemmy posts on Mastodon. Sadly, currently images attached to Lemmy posts are lost. Kbin is better in that regard than Lemmy (but has its own problems).

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

To get traction on mastodon you have to use hashtags. Here’s an example from a recent toot:

Looking for a place to discuss #ClimateAction? Consider checking out the new Lemmy instance dedicated to #Solarpunks organizing for a better world over at: https://slrpnk.net

Those two hastags get about 500 combined posts per week, so there’s a good chance both have users following them.

• 3laws@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Agree.

Anyway, that AI pic is hot garbage NGL. As an artist I still don’t understand the “beauty” so many people claim it has.

As an engineer of course I understand the feat… and that’s about it.

Sorry for hijacking your post with my mini rant.

• spaduf@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

All good. If I had any artistic talent myself I would have put something else together but alas. If anybody’s got something cute and free hit me up!

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The one you have up is great, let them rant. Beauty, coolness, attractive, taste, smells, they’re all subjective.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

For an avatar/profile picture … hard disagree here. It’s colors and contours etc, when viewed as the small thumbnail that profile pics are used for, it’s distinctive and clear and pleasant.

Enlarging it … I also kinda like it … slightly weird and quirky, reminiscent of a 70s prog rock album cover. Not sure I get the hate TBH, especially given what it’s for.

• sab@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Kbin is pretty good for this. Every magazine has two tabs: one for microblogs, and one for threads. The administrator of the magazine can choose relevant hashtags, and all federated posts from the fediverse containing the hashtags will show up in the microblog section. People end up in kbin communities just by making themselves discoverable with hashtags, they don’t even need to know what kbin is.

There are, as far as I can tell, two problems:

1. There’s no combined view showing both posts and microblog. As a consequence, the microblog is often neglected.
    2. Federation doesn’t work well - you only see these posts if you’re viewing it from the same kbin instance as the one you’re visiting from. In effect it’s basically only useful for kbin.social at the moment.

Still, both of these things seem like they could be resolved, and it’s a very neat solution. :)

• maegul@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

It’s a neat solution, but I suspect, in the end, it kinda misses the broader point. From kbin, it may seem like a neat or good solution, but from mastodon magazines and communities, whether from kbin or lemmy, are equally opaque rather unusable entitles. Kbin’s solution works for filling up feeds on kbin. And, if the whole fediverse worked the way kbin works, it might be awesome!

But, it doesn’t, and so mastodon users still aren’t actually interacting with the conversations going on in communities and magazines, except for the relatively rare occasions that they make a top-level post or actually follow a community. Getting mastodon users off of mastodon and into our communities/magazines is what matters here (AFAIU). Their number and “fedi-readiness” make this a valuable goal. But also a potentially important one so that mastodon users learn that there’s more outside of their somewhat brutalist platform design and the idea of more complex and rich fediverse interactions becomes more normalised.

Broadly, I suspect the way forward will be having client apps that bring together various platform structures while the devs of each platform can focus on their platform without having to reinvent everything everytime they make a new platform or feature.

• harmonea@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

This kind of integration is pretty much the whole point of kbin. People should be gravitating toward lemmy if they don’t want this and toward kbin if they do.

• Lugh@futurology.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I’d love to have more Mastodon stuff in my lemmy feed. Shame its virtually impossible as far as I can see. Do you have any idea when lemmy devs might change this?

• yukichigai@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You can kind of get that on Kbin, though it shunts all the Mastodon stuff over to the “Microblogging” section. Also it’s not exactly bug free right now: a lot of the time you won’t see all of the replies to a post, especially if they’re replies to replies (and so on and so forth).

The idea is there though, and the devs are working on it constantly, so one day it should work correctly.

• spaduf@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Last I heard Lemmy devs are explicitly against this. Mastodon users can still make top level posts over here but I don’t think that’s what you had in mind.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Great to see!

Friendly feedback:

• maybe tone down the sales-person vibe in the language? A good model for this on mastodon might be the Feditips account.
    • As said elsewhere, mastodon is in many ways all about the hashtags. You gotta use them to get seen, but, even more importantly here, people already following particular hashtags are probably the target audience here. “#startrek” and the startrek communities or instances, as an example.
    • Maybe recommending mastodon users follow communities isn’t the best idea given the way it turns into a firehose on mastodon???