i wanna make a list of spookies to download for the next few weeks. please drop your favourite horrors or some obscure choices you like! mostly looking for like offbeat 90s-2000s stuff (earlier is cool too), wacky shlock is welcome but I’d love some actually scary picks too. really just anything you consider worth watching is good. thanks!

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago
    • Constantine (2005). So bad it’s good.
    • Deep Rising (1998). This might be my favorite “so bad it’s good” movie. It’s over-the-top nonsense and it’s great.
    • The Ritual (2017). It’s one of the creepiest movies I’ve ever seen. It’s only rated 6.3 at Imdb. I guess people wanted far more gore or something and less nightmarish stuff.

-–

There’s a lot of stuff I really like about Constantine but my favorite thing is the archangel. The actor nails their role. I’m being vague because it’s best not to know ahead of time who the actor is or what the details are. Also - the costume, makeup, etc is a perfect match. It’s always great when something is unexpected and feels right.

A spoiler that ignores my advice.
    • Tilda Swinton as Gabriel: A “half-breed” Archangel with a disdain for humanity…

-–

For such a ridiculous movie Deep Rising has a surprisingly strong cast down to even the minor characters.

Deep Rising (1998)

A group of heavily armed hijackers board a luxury ocean liner in the South Pacific Ocean to loot it, only to do battle with a series of large-sized, tentacled, man-eating sea creatures who had already invaded the ship.

The Ritual (2017)

A group of old college friends reunite for a trip to Sweden, encountering a menacing presence there stalking them.

I edited the summary a bit because it made it sound like the movie might be a horror-comedy “…a trip to a most dangerous country in Europe - Sweden”.

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I truly love ridiculous yet enjoyable nonsense with high production values and a great cast. Deep Blue Sea is in this category too even though LL Cool J isn’t exactly a top-notch actor. I almost started laughing when I saw the top cast.

Ah. Look at that cast. And Saffron Burrows is in this crap? I’m in!

-–

I totally hated The Meg though. The movie took itself very seriously and who wants to see a ridiculous giant shark movie trying very hard to be a drama?

• Andrzej3K [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Genuinely scary, heartbreaking, underappreciated pick: Lake Mungo (2009)

Trashy fun, and also underappreciated pick: The Blob (1989)

You will develop arrhythmia watching this pick: Host (2020)

• AmericaDeserved711 [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

(sticking to 90s/early 00s because otherwise I will end up recommending like 50 movies)

Candyman (1992) is a must-watch IMO, probably the best 90s horror movie

Wes Craven’s The People Under the Stairs (1991) is a great anti-gentrification horror film with evil landlord villains

May (2002) is an indie horror gem that I always recommend because not enough people know about it

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) is on the sillier side but it rules

Ghostwatch (1992) is a fun Halloween movie in the form of a fake BBC broadcast about a paranormal investigation. people were actually tricked into thinking it was real when it aired

also definitely check out Guillermo Del Toro’s Spanish language horror films, Cronos (1992) and The Devil’s Backbone (2001)

• Andrzej3K [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

These are all great recommendations. I strongly agree about Candyman — such a special film that takes the slasher genre as a starting point and develops it into something else entirely. I wish slashers had gone more in that direction instead of the era of meta-wankery ushered in by Scream.

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I really like

• Ginger Snaps, a movie about werewolves except it’s actually about existing as a teenage girl and tackles subjects like menstraution, sexual harassment, and friendship

• Silent Hill, a very rare horror movie with a nearly all women cast where the characters are competent and behave appropriately for their situation. I like horror when the characters are overwhelmed despite being competent

• Alien, a classic and masterwork in the genre

• American Werewolf in London, a dark comedy horror movie with amazing in-camera special effects and fun, grim humor

• someone [comrade/them, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Most of these need CW tags, so I leave the googling of them as an exercise for the reader.

From Beyond. From the same people who made Re-animator. Less well known but the better of the two movies in my opinion. Most of the same cast too, including main stars Barbara Crampton and Jeffrey Combs who both knock it out of the park. Combs’ character is an assistant to a scientist doing literally Lovecraftian things (the opening scene is based on a Lovecraft story). Things go badly, Combs’ lab assistant character ends up in police custody, the police have no idea what to do, and Crampton’s character is the highly driven psychiatrist who takes custody of him, partly to figure out the situation and mostly to use him as a lab rat who can’t say no due to the criminal charges against him. Things get weird.

Rubber’s Lover. Japanese splatter-horror cyberpunk. It’s in black and white which somehow makes all the gory stuff completely cartoony and surreal. Some extremely unethical scientists work for a shadowy organization to develop psychic powers in people in a makeshift underground warehouse facility, using unwilling test subjects. One of the test subjects is a former colleague who went a little nuts when he saw one of his test subjects explode. The organization pulls the plug on funding and send a secretary to take custody of documentation to keep it secret. The scientists decide to simply use her as another test subject. Things get weird.

Beyond the Black Rainbow. A slow burn. An unstable middle-aged scientist has a young woman with mental powers held captive her whole life in what’s left of a 1960s/1970s hippy techno-utopian psychic research facility. It’s now the 1980s, and the place is down to three staff members: the elderly founding scientist, the aforementioned middle-aged scientist, and a Nurse Ratched type of assistant. The founding scientist spends his days drugged up in his dark office/bedroom rewatching old promo videos of the facility over and over again. The captive young woman was the daughter of another scientist at the facility and has never known life outside it. Things get weird.

Transylvainia Twist. A genuinely funny parody of all those classic Hammer Film Productions horror movies, especially the first Christopher Lee Dracula movie. This is the movie that Dracula Dead and Loving It wishes it were.

• imogen_underscore [it/its, she/her]@hexbear.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I’ll start: Cure (1997) is probably my favorite horror that I’ve seen. it’s wonderfully shot and weird in a really compelling way. probably gonna grab Pulse for this month cause I haven’t seen it yet.

• thethirdgracchi [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

If you like Cure, I would highly recommend Only the River Flows, a Chinese movie from 2023 that is captured on 16mm film and set in the 90s so it feels old. It’s wonderful; very similar paranoia and dread that pervades Cure. I’m not quite sure it’s “horror” but the feeling is the same as Cure, albeit Cure is still the better movie.