i wanna make a list of spookies to download for the next few weeks. please drop your favourite horrors or some obscure choices you like! mostly looking for like offbeat 90s-2000s stuff (earlier is cool too), wacky shlock is welcome but I’d love some actually scary picks too. really just anything you consider worth watching is good. thanks!

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago
    • Constantine (2005). So bad it’s good.
    • Deep Rising (1998). This might be my favorite “so bad it’s good” movie. It’s over-the-top nonsense and it’s great.
    • The Ritual (2017). It’s one of the creepiest movies I’ve ever seen. It’s only rated 6.3 at Imdb. I guess people wanted far more gore or something and less nightmarish stuff.

-–

There’s a lot of stuff I really like about Constantine but my favorite thing is the archangel. The actor nails their role. I’m being vague because it’s best not to know ahead of time who the actor is or what the details are. Also - the costume, makeup, etc is a perfect match. It’s always great when something is unexpected and feels right.

A spoiler that ignores my advice.
    • Tilda Swinton as Gabriel: A “half-breed” Archangel with a disdain for humanity…

-–

For such a ridiculous movie Deep Rising has a surprisingly strong cast down to even the minor characters.

Deep Rising (1998)

A group of heavily armed hijackers board a luxury ocean liner in the South Pacific Ocean to loot it, only to do battle with a series of large-sized, tentacled, man-eating sea creatures who had already invaded the ship.

The Ritual (2017)

A group of old college friends reunite for a trip to Sweden, encountering a menacing presence there stalking them.

I edited the summary a bit because it made it sound like the movie might be a horror-comedy “…a trip to a most dangerous country in Europe - Sweden”.

• InevitableSwing [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I truly love ridiculous yet enjoyable nonsense with high production values and a great cast. Deep Blue Sea is in this category too even though LL Cool J isn’t exactly a top-notch actor. I almost started laughing when I saw the top cast.

Ah. Look at that cast. And Saffron Burrows is in this crap? I’m in!

-–

I totally hated The Meg though. The movie took itself very seriously and who wants to see a ridiculous giant shark movie trying very hard to be a drama?