• jpreston2005@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

How would they throw the darts? Like I threw lawn darts as a kid, trying to get them as high as possible in a parabola, or would they throw them shuriken style, right at the charging hordes?

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Questions like that are often hotly debated in experimental archeology! My thinking is high, in a parabola, as they were meant as harassing weapons, but as far as I know there’s no consensus.

• njm1314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      21 hours ago

We don’t have a clear answer on this. There was a video I saw once that you might be able to find on YouTube still where a guy experimented with them and tried different methods. Frankly didn’t really solve the question for me. They all seem somewhat viable. Underhand straightforward seem to work all right. Kind of overhand like a javelin sort of worked although maybe not the best. They also tried kind of loping overhand so it came down on top of the target sort of like you’re implying. Considering the weight of them I think that might make the most sense.

• superkret@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

You throw them in a straight line at short range, mostly at the horses of cavalry charging at you.