• njm1314@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

This might be one of the few times I think Donald Trump is actually telling the truth. I 100% believe Tim Cook is calling him and begging for shit.

• Bluefalcon
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

He was 100 about Elon willing to kiss his ass.

• vxx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 hours ago

Agreed. Apple already invited him for a PR stunt for the last election.

• macniel@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

So, why should we care?

“He [Cook] said something that was interesting,” Trump said. “He said they’re using that to run their enterprise, meaning Europe is their enterprise. “I said, ‘That’s a lot… But Tim, I got to get elected first, but I’m not going to let them take advantage of our companies — that won’t, you know, be happening.’”

suure… but hey, when they don’t pay, I guess its fine to the Orange man, that Cuck won’t be able to sell in Europe, eh?

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

“Tim said the EU is an enterprise, so I said; Tim, you’re going to have to pay the service fees if you want to get me into office! That’s how our enterprise works!”

What a joke, even when Trump is pretending to be, or imagining himself as a defender of democracy he’s actually just expressing class-based corruption and running his politics as a pay-for-play service exclusive to billionaires and their companies.

I guess Elon Musk paid so much he got to do a VIP on stage appearance. A complete joke, total corruption. So bad he doesn’t even recognise it in what he’s saying.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I guess Elon Musk paid so much he got to do a VIP on stage appearance.

Donald Trump realized how easy it is to extort business dorks by promising them something vaguely beneficial in the future for a wad of cash today. And now he’s racking it in as fast as he can make the calls.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

JD Vance is literally Silicon Valley’s candidate, sponsored by PayPal’s Peter Thiel, and likely to take over if Trump gets into office.

It’s absolutely something Apple’s head would do. They’re not exactly know for their morality. FoxxConn workers can tell you that as they roll out of the suicide nets.

• B0rax@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Just so you know, Foxconn supplies almost every electronics manufacturer. Your phone? Foxconn. Your TV? Foxconn. Your PC? Foxconn. Your radio in the kitchen? Foxconn. Doesn’t matter which name is on the outside.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 hours ago

A trend apple started:

PALO ALTO, U.S. For Apple, Hon Hai Precision Industry is not just a subcontractor. It is a business partner. And though both sides are taking steps to reduce their mutual dependence, their fortunes remain very much entwined.

Their ties deepened in 2000, when Foxconn Technology Group – as Hon Hai is known – landed an order to produce Apple’s iMacs. The duo had worked together on parts production before, but this was a major turning point. Apple’s high quality standards forced the Taiwanese supplier to sharpen its technological edge.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Foxconn-Apple-and-the-partnership-that-changed-the-tech-sector

• athairmor@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

JD Vance is the tech bro VC candidate. There’s a huge difference between Tim Cook and 90s boom era tech bros. Apple’s success doesn’t give a fuck about middle-school mentality masculinity. Not every tech company is so insecure.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

“My billionaire is a good one though!”

I’ll never understand people who try to step in and defend do-nothing billionaires - they’re all morality free nihilists who value profit above all else. They’re all ruthless.

• federal reverse@feddit.orgM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            13 hours ago

So is Trump/Vance good for business? For all I know that’s true of a few [types of] businesses only, e.g. fossil fuels are an obvious one. But to Apple, IRA-enabled investment opportunities may be more relevant than availability of fossil fuels.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              17 hours ago

It’s impossible to know what outcomes Trump/Vance would produce and who that would be good for.

Could be anything from a hardline but peaceful form of traditionalist authoritarianism. To fascism and WW3 with internal purges and massacres of “the enemies within”.

I don’t think any of Trump’s plans will be good for business though because an increase in the wealth gap generally means you’re creating a deepening sense of monopoly and corruption, and that generally means richer people at the top, less casual consumption and money flowing in the economy in the lower-middle, and stagnation and poverty at the bottom (with the poorest squeezing by and only spending on essentials, possibly becoming homeless).

How long these outcomes take to form who knows.

But outside of that, the US economy is having a mild recovery and is generally in an upswing that should continue if which ever government gets in is stable and fairly sensible.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

It’s possible Trump is lying. But there is a depressingly high chance that this call (or one like it) did actually happen. Rich fucks do be making insane phone calls all the time. Just look up Bill Ackman’s long reputation of putting Columbia administrative heads, NY/DC newspaper editors, and random ranking congresspeople on blast, every time he gets a bug up his ass about Woke.

• Nightwatch Admin@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Europe as an enterprise, that sounds a lot like the Dutch version of SovCit nonsense, claiming that NL is not a country/kingdom because the government fled to the UK in WW2 and it is since then a subsidiary of the US.