I wanted to get a pulse check on how new members are finding the general experience/website. Is it more confusing than Reddit or are you finding the instance system a better way of doing things as it can give you more freedom of where you choose to create an account?

I’m a new user myself but have found the experience to remind me of Reddit back in the day, lol. It’s definitely giving me old-school yet modern vibes and it’s great to see something that isn’t Reddit growing in popularity!

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Basically 4 things:

• Pick your own admin. I’m sure the kbin admin is awesome (can’t be worse than spez, lol) but it’s nice to have the option

• Have more control over what your server federates with. Hate interacting with people from a specific server? Move to one that blocks it. Want to interact with people from a blocked instance? Move to one that doesn’t block them. Basically more options.

• Don’t like the rules on your server? Go to one where you like the rules better.

• Your server is down? That’s fine, go to a different one temporarily. You’re gonna feel this hard on Monday. Kbin’s gonna get crushed by the Reddit hug of death. You might wanna join up to a small Lemmy instance that the horde won’t notice if that happens and you still wanna be on.

If you like kbin’s admin, federation settings and rules? Then cool! You’re missing absolutely nothing from being there (except when it’s down). It’s nice to have options though.

Secret number 5:

If you know how to host a server, you can host your own Lemmy instance and have all the powa!

• honorfaz@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

@Barbarian So I have a few questions, being new to all this:

1. Seemingly I am responding to you when you’re on a different instance. I’m on kbin and you’re on… sh.itjust.works? Am I understanding this right?

2. My kbin account is restricted to just kbin, correct? I cannot use my kbin credentials to log on to another instance like sh.itjust.works.

3. How do I make an original comment (this is a bit dumb lol). I see the option to reply to others but no “comment” button for me to comment on my own.

4. On kbin specifically… what is a microblog?

5. (Last one promise), what is up with the @stuff. I see this post link is kbin.social/m/asklemmy@lemmy.mt… I figured the /m is like reddit’s /r, but what is the asklemmy@lemmy.mt meaning that this is the magazine/community from lemmy.mt when shown on the kbin /m/ instance version? Not sure if this question makes any sense lol I’m just trying to understand how this all works

• primalmotion@lemmy.antisocial.ly
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Your username in the fediverse is not honorfaz, but @honorfaz@kbin.social, just as an email. It’s the same for communities (or sublemmy, or whatever we decide to call it). It’s not c/something, but c/something@instance.com. This is why everyone still has a unique handle, but no unique admin.

I’m on my own instance for example, running in my living room, and yet here we are, talking. Internet as it was intented.

• honorfaz@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I just realized I also pinged a bunch of other people in this reply chain, didn’t notice it had automatically put all the usernames in at the bottom. Wonder if there’s a way to disable that, seems unnecessary.

• hllywluis@sh.itjust.worksOP
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I don’t think that’s possible since each instance is kind of a silo from each other with regard to your activity on that specific instance, even if you post on other instances… Like since you made a comment/post on one instance that activity stays on that instance.

• primalmotion@lemmy.antisocial.ly
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

That depends. I think the migration process is part of ActivityPub and would need to be implemented in lemmy. With mastodon, you can move from instance to instance almost transparently.

• arkcom@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The others have been answered, so here are 3 and 4 to my understanding:

1. Click the + at the top right and you can make a new thread to the current magazine (subreddit) or even make a new one.

2. Microblog for each magazine pulls in all mastadon and other fediverse content that has the tags that the magazine owner has associated with it.

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago
        1. Yes! Kbin… Magazines, I think they’re called? And Lemmy communities send out all new posts to every server where people are subscribed to it via the magic of the ActivityPub protocol. Any comments and upvoted get saved in the local copy, and then synced over later too to everyone else.

2. Yes, kbin is a site, sh.itjust.works is a site. We can talk because of point 1.

3. Dunno man, haven’t tried Kbin

4. See point 3

5. That’s the community@server. Community = Magazine = Subreddit, all terms for the same thing. The server is where your server (Kbin) looks to grab the latest stuff for that community for you to use (see point 1).

• density@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I am also new here but I think I can help. If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me.

1. yes

2. you can only login to the instance with which you created your credentials. BUT you can interact with posts made elsewhere by finding their representation (not sure the correct jargon) on your instance. For example this post where are on here,

You can comment on any of those that you are logged in to.

1. The new comment box is waaaaaay down at the bottom of the page instead of the top as on reddit. I also couldn’t find it.

2. I think microblog is mastadon

3. I think you have the right idea? See #2

• Ultivek@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wow I didn’t realize that each instance has different owners and rules and such I’ll definitely have to do some poking. Kbin was just what I happened to come across first

• hllywluis@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This. Being able to move to a different instance if your main one is down and being able to host your own are very much pros to this.