• Wooki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 hours ago

Up next on the news: abusive boss wonders why he can’t retain staff. Should the board step in? Shareholders say yes

• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

I can’t imagine why this needy millennial feels so entitled to my attention.

• xantoxis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

Why can’t these regulations be actual crimes, with criminal consequences for the perpetrator. And if he’s ordering someone else to do the firing, it’s “conspiracy to commit regulatory fraud”.

• merc@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 hours ago

He’ll fire workers… what workers exactly? As far as I can tell, he hasn’t actually run a business in 25 years. He got rich when Mattel bought his company in 1999, but then they fired him. He invested in a storage facility company, was on the board of directors but never actually had any employees reporting to him, and then he sold that investment, making him more money.

Since then, he’s had a number of vanity projects name after himself: O’Leary Funds, O’Leary Ventures, O’Leary Books, O’Leary Fine Wines, I don’t know if any of them are still in business, but if they are, I can’t imagine he has more than a handful of employees.

Now he’s just a reality TV personality, so of course he’s going to say bullshit that gets him in the spotlight.

Why would anybody take advice from a reality TV personality who hasn’t managed any employees in a quarter of a century? Especially given that he’s probably just saying bullshit to get his name in the spotlight again.

• sunzu2@thebrainbin.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 hours ago

This is guy’s grift is playing daddy capitalist while real owners do actual capitalism.

A useful whore for the regime.

• Comment105@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

This whole thing with a series of “CommentX” accounts started because I wrote on reddit once that I hoped for this guy’s death, got permabanned, and made my first new account. I think I was up in the 140’s on reddit recently, still haven’t made an alt for lemmy since I started with 105.

But this specific guy, who I don’t usually hear much from because I don’t seek out content from/about that environment, said something so ugly about how good he thought poverty and struggle was, that it made me wish the worst for him.

It’s not that he’s much worse than the other guys in his wealth class, I mean he’s still up there but not #1 big bad by any means, but he’s just so fucking overtly classist and apparently in love with the suffering of those beneath him, it’s shocking.

It’s disappointing to be reminded of him, and that my wish upon a star wasn’t fulfilled. He should’ve been in that submarine.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 hours ago

Where’s all the action? All I’ve seen is the sub guy and a ship captain actually follow through

• xenoclast@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        20 hours ago

If I was actively planning on murdering some of the richest people on earth, I wouldn’t talk about it on social media.

People you’re talking about OWN the violence needed to stop them.

What I would be doing is joining the organizations that control the violence and either disrupt or try and take control of some or all of it.

History is going to be very unkind to people like Biden who has the means and legal right to mobilize and contain the fascists that ended American democracy and destroyed modern civilization

• ddh@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

You join the violent organisations, either you are assimilated, or you are cast out (or worse). That’s how they work.

• DoYouNot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

This is exactly why we need unions. Just like not having weekends off, it’s normal until it isn’t.

• Salvo@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 hours ago

Some industries are weekend industries; for Hospitality, Retail and Tourism, Saturday and Sunday are the equivalent of Monday and Tuesday for the 9-5 crowd.

That said, Monday and Tuesday are usually the Saturday and Sunday for these workers. Us “Normies” don’t usually particle in fine dining, clubbing or tourist traps on Monday and Tuesdays.

You are right though, Retail and Hospitality workers do need to get better unions so they can get paid a living wage and aren’t being forced to work 7 days a week for 12 hour shifts.

• RegalPotoo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 hours ago

Oh man that’s rough, I’m sorry you’ve not had that. I hope you’ve managed to find other opportunities to spend time with family or do things that you enjoy

• skittle07crusher@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 hours ago

If you look away slightly from that picture, your peripheral sense of a complete fucking asshole will fill in the cigar in his right hand

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

It’s not about money. It’s about being a petty tyrant and lording over the peasants.

Fuck the wealthy.

• radiohead37@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 hours ago

He wants employees to have the same dedication that he has. The thing is, it is not our company, and we certainly don’t get paid millions of dollars. We have other things to do on our own time than making money for you.

• ShareMySims@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 hours ago

He wants employees to have the same dedication that he has.

Don’t be confused - he is categorically not as dedicated as he expects his employees to be, but far, far, far less.