• Silverseren@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is an ongoing example of why conservatives are the enemy. They are actively trying to destroy any form of democratic and people controlled process.

This is not and has never been a “both sides are bad” situation. And anyone trying to argue as such is just as bad as the conservatives.

• ALQ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yeah; I feel like people need to recognize that

Neither side is good

!=

Both sides are bad.

There is one party that is actively unraveling our democracy and it’s not the Democrats. I don’t have to love them to realize that they are the better choice. And even then, I’d say the Democrats are “good-ish,” and many are trying to be good. They’re just not great. ¯\(ツ)

• TheDoozer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

During the 1940s, and particularly during WWII, the US was extremely discriminatory (to the point of outright murderous) to black people and rounded up anyone of Japanese descent and put them in camps (often while white people took over their old areas they’d carved out for themselves). They were awful to gays as well.

But you know what the US didn’t do? Murder millions of their own citizens in an organized genocide, stripping them of their humanity before killing them en masse in gas chambers.

But nobody (sane) “two-sides” WWII. The US wasn’t good, but it was definitely on the right side of that fight, and the fascists needed to be stopped. If we waited for some “good” country to stop the Axis, because we didn’t want to support the US, the fascists would have won.

The saying goes “the perfect is the enemy of the good,” but sometimes the Good is the enemy of stopping goddamn fascists.

• SnipingNinja@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

The way you phrased the last sentence makes it seem like you think the phrase “perfect is the enemy of good” means that perfect is better than good, which while true isn’t the point of that phrase.

I’m assuming you wrote it that way for dramatic effect, but I wrote this comment for today’s 10,000

P.S. can someone calculate what that number would be for the global population, as the 10,000 is for the US

• TheDoozer@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

The phrasing was intentional, and symmetrical. The point of the phrase is if you are holding out for the perfect, you’ll fail to even get the good. And if you are holding out for a “good” politician (e.g. refusing to vote because your particular chosen politician isn’t in the race), you’ll fail to keep fascists away from power.

• HWK_290@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeah but Biden couldn’t cancel my student loans so I’m voting for the other guy this time

/s in case it wasn’t obvious

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s no secret what Republicans stand for. I worry that there might be enough of them to continue unraveling the basic fabric of this society.

• foggy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s really as simple as doing what you can to increase you areas local public education dollar.

It’s just an education thing. We need to spend more on education, and the problem will slowly go away. Teachers need more money, schools need more money, our colleges need more money. It’s getting bad.

There’s a reason Devos did what she did to public education, and it has everything to do with her brother being a founding member of Blackrock.

The military spend is stupid and the education spend is a joke. But the lack of education breeds the voters who salute the military spend blindly.

• DrPop@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

We should be allowed to sue these individuals for working against the agency they were put in charge of.

• foggy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I think there are mechanisms for that tbh. It’s disheartening.

She should have never had a high level govt position with a family member so highly invested in something so political. Clear conflicts of interest.

• AFK BRB Chocolate@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Earlier that session, Sexton warned Jones he was nearly “impugning the reputation” of Republican Rep. Gino Bulso by calling Bulso’s bills “reprehensible,” “asinine,” and “insulting,” including one being discussed at the time that would allow private schools with pre-kindergarten classes to have policies allowing guns on campus.

Democrats noted that Bulso himself had been told to stay on topic, including when he said Jones “continually misrepresents facts to the public,” then later said Jones “makes outrageous statements,” without being put up for a vote on whether he should be silenced.

So saying the bill is reprehensible, asinine, and insulting is impugning the author’s reputation, but saying the guy himself misrepresents the facts and makes outrageous statements is perfectly acceptable.

These guys are so revoltingly hypocritical.

• resin85@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Earlier that session, Sexton warned Jones he was nearly “impugning the reputation” of Republican Rep. Gino Bulso by calling Bulso’s bills “reprehensible,” “asinine,” and “insulting,” including one being discussed at the time that would allow private schools with pre-kindergarten classes to have policies allowing guns on campus.

There are no words to describe the insanity of the right wing gun nuts. Allowing guns around 2-4 year old toddlers, what the hell is wrong with these people?

• BeMoreCareful@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The Nashville elite are used to running Nashville. It’s a tight knit club that everyone knows not to defy. It’s been that way for a long long time. It’s not even a just republican thing, it’s a certain Nashville republicans thing.

That’s why they act like spoiled children when someone says anything other than “thank you”.

• GivingEuropeASpook@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Republican legislative leaders aren’t taking up significant any gun control changes, including the governor’s push to keep guns away from people judged to pose a threat to themselves or others.

They’ll be damned if anyone is gonna call em out on their bullshit, especially a person of color.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The vote prompted loud cries and chants that drowned out proceedings for several minutes even after the House speaker ordered the gallery to be cleared out.

Moments prior, Jones had been criticizing legislation that would have allowed more law enforcement officers in schools and began listing other resources that the state should be providing.

Under new rules adopted by the GOP-dominant chamber last week, members can be silenced anywhere from a day to the rest of the year for not sticking to the bill being debated.

What happened next was a chaotic flurry of legislative proceedings, where Democrats outraged at the decision to move ahead with trying to silence Jones for the day began pleading with and trying to convince their GOP colleagues to change their minds.

The crowd, which included gun control advocates urging change in a special session after a deadly Nashville school shooting in March, shouted “fascists” and “racists,” and Sexton ordered troopers to clear out the gallery of the public.

The demonstration came just days after a shooter opened fire at a private Christian school in Nashville, killing three children and three adults.

The original article contains 479 words, the summary contains 187 words. Saved 61%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Verdant Banana@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

just want to point out that me and others are currently unable to vote due to republican and democratic led laws people like Biden help craft democrats like to hide their shit better but it is still shit at the end of the day Obama and Biden chained a woman trying to debate on the same level to a chair for eight hours https://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/17/green_partys_jill_stein_cheri_honkala

both parties are actively supporting elites eating our county one bite at a time

• Sharkwellington@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

just want to point out that me and others are currently unable to vote due to republican and democratic run laws

Which ones?

Obama and Biden chained a woman trying to debate on the same level to a chair for eight hours https://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/17/green_partys_jill_stein_cheri_honkala

Like other third-party candidates, Stein was blocked from participating in the debate by the Commission on Presidential Debates, which is controlled by the Republican and Democratic parties.

None of this article sounds great but your assertion that “Obama and Biden chained a woman to a chair” is straight up deceitful. Obama became an honorary co-chair of the Commission on Presidential Debates in 2019 and Biden is not in the Commission at all.

both parties are actively supporting elites eating our county one bite at a time

Unfortunately not a concern of mine when one side is dehumanizing people I love. Like absolutely we need to get that fixed but before I can care about that I’m gonna need to focus my energy on removing power from the ones using it to hurt others. Republicans introduced 315 anti-lgbtq bills in 2022 and 500+ as of May. I simply cannot care about anything else while this is happening.