I noticed my consumption has decased quite a bit. I would visit regularly to watch content from few channels. I would probably still visit every so often to watch the new videos. But the experience has become more deliberate and conscious. I go to YouTube because I want to go and watch something specific. Mindlessly browsing and watching additional content is harder.

This is good progress from Google to get off their platform :)

• Chozo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I actually like the recommendations. I usually only get content that’s relevant to my interests, and I’m always finding new channels that are interesting and worth my sub.

Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing differently from everybody else, because I never see much of the spammy/irrelevant content everyone else seems to be getting. Or maybe I’m just easy to please.

• MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Same. I usually find something in the first 4 results that are relevant and interesting. Only thing I wish it did more is expand a bit. It heavily favors stuff related to what you’ve watched very recently. There’s some channels I love but completely forget about because I haven’t played them in a little where.

• jerebear39@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

My recommendations are broken. It just repeates what I’d been watching and never nothing new. I don’t know why my algorithm is broken. I have gotten to the point of watching more movies and tv shows at this point.

• bermuda@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I love long form comedy content but it does nothing but recommend 30 second clip content. It’s absurd. I just can’t like and interact with the videos I actually like enough.

• Very_Bad_Janet@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I do a search for a specific comedian with the words “full set” in the search terms. I do the search outside of the YT app (e.g., using DDG) and watch it either on Firefox with UBO or I search for it in Newpipe. And then subscribe in Newpipe ( and in the regular YT app so they get a little engagement; I also go in and randomly like a few of their videos).

I don’t know what kind of comedy you’re into but here’s a full Matteo Lane set (I think he’s hilarious) - enjoy:

https://youtu.be/K2rxborNVsc

• prole@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Then tell it you don’t like those channels and thumbs down the short stuff you don’t want, and thumbs up the long stuff you do.

Remove the “shorts” section entirely (I know you can with vanced, forget about vanilla) if those are the 30 sec videos you mean. I hate them and ignore them entirely. Simple.

It’s really not hard to get YouTube to be a pretty damn good recommendation engine. You just have to give it some constraints.

• bermuda@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Me: I interact negatively and it doesn’t work

You: then just interact negatively.

• prole@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Do you actually tell it what you do and don’t like? If it keeps recommending a channel you don’t like, click the “no more from this channel,” or “don’t recommend things like this” or whatever those options are.

If you do that, as well as thumbs up/down, you get good recommendations. Really not very hard.

• can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have the same experience and I’m wondering if it’s because I’m not American?

• Osa-Eris-Xero512@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I also have a good experience with it and am American. But I also pay for premium for my family and I wonder if it’s not pushing contentious shit to maximize watch time because they already have my money?

• dingus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m American. I use adblockers extensively and do not pay for premium. I’ve always enjoyed my recommendations and they have always been very relevant to my interests. I don’t get spammy content.

• DrQuint@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same. I like the recommended stuff, it actually matches my background noise preferences and has changed over time too and landed some shots in the dark.

It has one drawback: Repetition. I watch a dumb and savage 10s clip from an old cartoon, I get 20 clips recommended. And if one was particularly popular, it recommends that one 20 times. Thing is, it switches gears fast, specially if I tell it I’m not interested. It’s the only algorithm that just seems to GET the concept of “give me DIFFERENT trash”.

• berkeleyblue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same for me. Sure there’s crap in there sometimes and because I like some Atheist/Philosophy vontent YT kinda likes to shove Prager U and other religious channels down my throat from time to time. But hesides that, I’m usually quite happpy with my recommendations

• LanternEverywhere@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I have the opposite experience. YouTube is always pushing dumbass recommendations. I only go to YouTube when someone links to a video I’m interested in, say some neat demonstration of a old analog synthesizer, and there’ll be a couple of slightly interesting suggestions on synths, I’ll click on that and then the recommendations are like “Woah!!! Check out what happens when I stick a synth cable into my butt!!!” And it’s not because I ever watch videos like that, in fact that shit is what makes me close the YouTube window and never go back until some other website links me directly to an actually good video again.

• Chozo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I only go to YouTube when someone links to a video I’m interested in

I wonder if this is part of the discrepancy, as I use YouTube pretty much all day long. I work from home and pretty much always put some YouTube videos on my TV while I’m working. Maybe YT just has a more robust dataset for my account to filter recommendations better.

“Woah!!! Check out what happens when I stick a synth cable into my butt!!!” And it’s not because I ever watch videos like that

You don’t gotta hide it. We’re all friends here. ;)

• p0op@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      Nederlands
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m in the same boat. The recommendations don’t bother me too much, except when it recommends me videos I’ve seen in the recent or distant past. Also, when I watch one video from someone, then come to find out they’re part of some right wing culture and end up getting recommended the right wing rabbit hole videos for a few weeks.

• Pantherina@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Hahaha going to a random invidious recommendations page also only shows tech stuff. Pretty nieche though