Very, Very Few People Are Falling Down the YouTube Rabbit Hole | The site’s crackdown on radicalization seems to have worked. But the world will never know what was happening before that::The site’s crackdown on radicalization seems to have worked. But the world will never know what was happening before that.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Weird. Youtube keeps recommending right wing videos even though I’ve purged them from my watch history and always selected Not Interested. It got to the point that I installed a 3rd party channel blocker.

I don’t even watch too many left leaning political videos and even those are just tangentially political.

• nutsack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

i think if you like economics or fast cars you will also get radical right wing talk videos. if you like guns it’s even worse.

• ShittyRedditWasBetter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Nah. Cars or money has nothing to do with it. I’ve never once gotten any political bullshit and those two topics are 60% of what I watch.

• nutsack@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

i made a fresh google account specifically to watch daily streams from one stocks channel (the guy is a liberal) and i got cars, guns, right wing politics in the feed.

my general use account suggestion feed is mostly camera gear, leftist video essays and debate bro drama.

• Edgelord_Of_Tomorrow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Oh, you like WW2 documentaries about how liberal democracy crushed fascism strategically, industrially, scientifically and morally?

Well you might enjoy these videos made by actual Nazis complaining about gender neutral bathrooms!

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I started getting into Motorsport recently. I just get the ID video essay on racing and videos similar to top gear like overdrive. I don’t get any right wing stuff or guns. But I’m also in the UK so it probably uses that too. For American maybe it’s like “ah other Americans that line fast cars also like guns, here you go”

• Kuya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve been watching tutorials on jump ropes and kickboxing. I do watch YouTube shorts, but lately I’m being shown Andrew Tate stuff. I didn’t skip it quick enough, now 10% of the things I see are right leaning bot created contents. Slowly gun related, self defense, and Minecraft are taking over my YouTube shorts.

• DreadPirateShawn@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If you don’t already, you can view your watch history and delete things.

I do that with anything not music related, and it keeps my recommendations extremely clean.

• Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I like a few Minecraft channels, but I only watch it in private tabs because I know yt will flood my account with it if I’m not careful. There is no middle ground with The Algorithm.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah it’s too much skewed by recent viewing. Even if you’re subscribed to X amount of channels about topic Y but you just watched one video on topic Z, then say goodbye to Y, you only like Z now.

• spacebirb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I know everyone likes to be conspiracy on this but it’s really just trying to get your attention any way possible. There’s more right wing popular political videos, so the algorithm is more likely to suggest them. These videos also get lots of views so again, more likely to be suggested.

Just ignore them and watch what you like

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve already said I installed a channel blocker to deal with the problem, but it’s still annoying that a computer has me in their database as liking right wing shit. If it was limited to just youtube recommendations, it would be nothing, but we’re on a slow burn to a dystopian hell. Google has no reason not to use their personality profile of me elsewhere.

I made this comment elsewhere, but I have a very liberal friend who’s German, likes German food, and is into wwii era history. Facebook was suggesting neo-nazi groups to him.

I watch a little flashgitz and now I’m being recommended FreedomToons. I get that’s some people that like flashgitz are going to be terrible, but I shouldn’t have to click Not Interested more then once.

• Asymptote@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

I’m hopefully wrong because it might have GDPR implications, but on the other hand they’re probably using an LLm and once theyre on the back of that tiger they cnt let go of the tail.

• djmarcone@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Yeah I didn’t even know who he was until a few months ago. Yet he is the top channel.

YouTube/Google knows who you are and has a profile of you and your interests no matter what you do.

You have to truly obfuscate your identity to escape it.

By getting butthurt from seeing objectionable content it is still interaction and the algorithm links it to you. Your likes and dislikes are both part of your identity and they know that and use it.

Because interaction with the website is all that matters, happy or angry they don’t care.

In fact, they probably prefer you to be butthurt because you are more engaged.

• doggle@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m sure YouTube hangs on to that data even if you delete the history. I would guess that since you don’t watch left wing videos much their algorithm still thinks you are politically right of center? Although I would have expected it to just give up recommending political channels altogether at some point. I hardly ever get recommendations for political stuff, and right wing content is the minority of that

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I watch some left wing stuff, but I prefer my politics to be in text form. Too much dramatic music and manipulative editing even in things I agree with. The algorithm should see me as center left if anything, but because I watch some redneck engineering videos(that I ditch if they do get political), it seems to think I should also like transphobic videos.

• Brokkr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Indicating “not interested” shows engagement on your part. Therefore the algorithm provides you with more content like that so that you will engage more.

You can try blocking the channel, which has mixed results for the same reason, or closing youtube and staying away from it for a few hours on that account.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

If I click Not Interested increases the likely hood of getting more of the same, then all the more reason to run ad blockers.

The Channel Blocker is a 3rd party tool. It just hides the channel from view. Google shouldn’t know I’m doing it.

• jrburkh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I don’t know if this is accurate or not, but it’s the most nonsensical thing I’ve heard in a while. If engaging with something to say, “I don’t want to see this,” results in more of that content - the user will eventually leave the platform. I’m having this concern right now with my Google feed. I keep clicking not interested, yet continue getting similar content. Consequently, I’m increasingly leaning toward disabling the functionality because I’m tired of fucking seeing shit I don’t care to see. Getting angry just thinking about it.

• Brokkr@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I can only offer my own experience as evidence, but this is what I was advised to do (stop engaging by not selecting anything) and it worked. Prior to that I kept getting tons of stuff that I didn’t want to see, but it stopped within a few days once I stopped engaging with it. And I agree, it is infuriating.

Because I got this advice from someone else, I guess it has worked for others too.