The point is not to chill and just burn through the savings and not work. How would having that much money saved, change the way you look for jobs?

• PrettyBlackDress@lemdit.comOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Yea seriously thank you. I’m like mind blown that ppl don’t think that’s a lot of money. 10K would last me almost 2 years not working. I’m single, no dependents, my rent is cheap and I own my car. What’s the deal here man? Why’s everyone pissing on 10k as chump change? That’s a lot of money man

• TooMuchDog@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

How in the world are you able to live off $5k/year? My last months credit card bill was $2.6k and I don’t even pay rent or tuition on my card. I’m also single with no dependents, own my own car, and have extremely cheap rent.

• dingus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I pay around that per month, but that includes all of my expenses, including rent and other bills, not just credit card alone. Maybe the person you’re responding to has kids or lives in a higher COL area or something.

In some places, rent alone might be that much though.

• dingus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

I don’t know much about their situation, but one of my coworkers has kids in daycare and it seems insanely expensive to the point where they’ve recently needed to get a second job.

• ilmagico@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Rent for a 1b apartment is more than that in some cities in California.

Edit: I see this was responding to someone spending 2.6k just on their credit cards, apologies. When I just graduated, spending that much on a credit card seemed like a lot of money. Now, that’s just average … on one credit card (I have 3 😅). Try having a family, traveling, or … I don’t even know, but life catches up with that pretty quickly.

• TooMuchDog@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

It’s not usually that high but it’s not totally uncommon for me to spend that much a month. I usually try to keep my spending between $1,200-1,800/month but that doesn’t always happen.

• AlotOfReading@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Cost of living isn’t the same everywhere and perspective is relative.

Rent in my area averages around 3k USD/mo for fairly plain arrangements. Between that and “unavoidable” costs like utilities, you’d get 3-4 months max on that amount, even living frugally. It really isn’t that much for a lot of people, even if that amount might be to you.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Thanks for pointing out the cost of living being different depending on area. That’s really important

• dingus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

That would last you two years of not working??? That wouldn’t last me a year of rent (maybe 6 months or less), never mind other expenses like food. I don’t even live in an overly expensive place like California or NY. I also don’t have any extravagant expenses. What in the world place do you live in with rent that cheap?

The insane levels of post-COVID inflation has been a real bitch, though. Prior to COVID, that would have been around a year’s worth of rent (but still not enough for other things like rent and utilities). But everything has skyrocketed since. But even pre-COVID, I can’t imagine $10k being two years of total living expenses.

• Cheerstothe90s@lemdit.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Don’t blame the responders, look at your question. If what you really want to know is “if you had 2 years worth of savings to live on”, ask that. The low end average cost of living in the US anyway is $2,500 a month, so 10k is 4 months of living expenses. That’s also about the average length of a job search.

• dingus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

In general, the OP seems a bit out of touch with a lot of things. They also recently asked why people stay in shitty jobs instead of just quitting them before they have another job lined up. Money. Money is why.

I’m guessing they maybe live with their parents who only make them pay nominal rent, giving them the freedom to not have many bills and to allow them to have large stretches of time between jobs if needed.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Looking at OP’s post history, they also have a history of trolling and shitposting, so I’m guessing this is just more of that.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I have my own apartment. Don’t hate just because you’re rent is 3k a month. Maybe budget better.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

I take one check and put it away, then next pay cycle I take a portion of that to add to the first chunk in my savings and then use all of that to pay my rent at the end of the month. I don’t spend any of my first check because that needs to be the majority of my rent while my second check I only need to pull 250 from

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I used to say 10k is enough to solve one major problem in my life and that was it. Enough to bailout a relative, enough to move across the country for a new job, enough to rebuild after a fire/flood, enough to buy a reasonable car in cash. 10k is not just money, 10k is a force in its own right. It represents one thing that should destroy my life or someone around me life nd make it go away.

Many years ago my wife wanted to finish her degree and she made 2k a month. I gave her my ten thousand and told her to focus on studies for five months. Worked out.

With inflation it is probably 15k now.

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I recently moved across the US. 15k would be possible but it would be tight (assuming everything you own doesnt fit in the back of your car). Also assuming youre including all moving expenses like reregistering a car, gas to drive across the country, deposits on rent/utilities, a month of overlap on rent, etc. All the little things start adding up quickly with a move that far.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

My apartment, which is about 22 square meters, costs me the equivalent of 1300 dollars a month. Add in a electricity, food, Public transit card, mobile data, and other small necessary things, and it’s at least 1800 dollars a month. And that’s without any extra expenses like fun things.

Which would, of course, last under 6 months. That’s not a lot of time. I’d need to start a job search immediately to be safe.

• Nollij@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t buy it. Not in the US, at least. Even if that was exclusively spent on rent alone, that would put it at $417/month. The only way you’re doing that is if you own (at least bought before the real estate spikes since ~2017) or you have a personal relationship with the landlord and are getting well below market rates. Or if you live in a van down by the river.

And that’s even before things like food, insurance, etc.

• I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

You said in another comment that your rent was $800 a month, two years of that is $19,200. Rent is (supposed to be) about 1/3 of your living costs, so that would be $2400 per month. You’re good for a little over 4 months, more if you live very lean.

Average cost of groceries per person per month in Texas is $289. Let’s say you’re thrifty and only spend $200. https://www.sofi.com/cost-of-living-in-texas/

Gas has averaged about $3.10 over the last year. https://ycharts.com/indicators/texas_retail_price_of_gasoline_monthly I don’t know how much gas your car uses or how much you drive, but lets say you drive a prius and get 50mpg. Most people drive about 1200 miles per month ( https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/average-miles-driven-per-year/ ) let’s say you only drive 1/4 of that, so 300 (75 miles per week). Not bad, only $18.60 for gas. Minimum legally required car insurance in Texas (gets you nothing if your car is damaged) is $47 per month (https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/average-cost-of-car-insurance-in-texas/).

Average utilities in Texas (including internet) is $402 per month, again you’re thrifty so we’ll halve that at $200 per month.

So, if you buy absolutely nothing besides bare minimum groceries, gas, car insurance and utilities (I’m assuming you’re on no-cost Medicaid here), that’s $465 per month + $800 rent is $1265. You’re good for almost 8 months. Not a dire as some here are claiming, but also not two years. If you lived like the “average Texan” it would be about 2.5 months.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

My condolences for your situation but the reality is that it simply isn’t a lot of savings.

10K lasting you 2 years is a fantasy. If rent is $500 a month, (which is an overwhelmingly generous estimate in this economy), you’re still talking about $500x24 months = $12K. That’s ignoring literally all other costs of living like food, transportation, electricity, etc.

I’m single, no dependants, don’t need a car to get around, and 10K would still not even last me a year simply because my rent is $1100 a month (and that is considered really good for a 1br in my city)

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

$1100 for a one bedroom? That would be crazy good where I’m at even for a studio where you’ve got bullets flying at night. I’d blow through 10K in rent in a few months. Where the hell does OP live that they could survive 2 years? There’s no way I’m even in the same country as OP.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah I’m super lucky. I live in a major city in Ontario. My rent is partially controlled due to provincial laws and my building being a bit old, and I’ve lived in it for about 5 years.

I’m kinda trapped though since I’d probably be paying double for a unit of the same size elsewhere in the city, and even more if I wanted to get an even slightly larger place, so I have to be happy with what I’ve got until the housing bubble bursts. I’m not complaining though, the building is well kept and in a very dense and walkable neighborhood with lots of amenities.

• redballooon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Tell us then, how do we get rid of family that we have to provide for, and where do we get that sweet cheap rent?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Those are your responsibilities that you need to accept and do twice the work for. That’s the cost of having those things.

People who do not have those burdens are not the bad guy. Focus your energy on ways to help yourself instead of shitting on other ppl.

The amount 10k I put is because that’s a fuck ton of money TO ME. And would help me a shit ton.

If 10k ISN’T enough for YOU then disregard that number and just put an amount according to your life situation that you consider a large sum of money that would help you while you’re unemployed and then answer the fucking question.

Basically, take any amount that you consider a large sum of money, and then apply the same question I asked in the post.

Stop trying to shame and fucking argue. Makes you look bitter